Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

vacuum breakers

berm
berm Member Posts: 14
What would be the purpose of installing a vacuum breaker on a steam main in addition to air eliminators? I had 2 Gorton No. 1 air eliminators and a vacuum breaker at the end of my main. The vacuum breaker was occasionally spitting water and my plumber replaced it with a 3rd Gorton No. 1. I get some loud hammering in the morning at the end of my cycle. Strangely I get the most violent sound around 10 minutes after the cycle ends and the boiler is not running. It only makes noise in the front of the building. I have checked the pitch on all of the radiators on that line and replaced the air valves. It sounds like the steam riser makes the noise but unfortunately the riser is buries inside the walls and is not visible. Would a vacuum breaker help in this situation?

Comments

• Wethead7
    Wethead7 Member Posts: 170
    Vacuum breaker

The vacuum breaker allows air in the system. The burner being off your system goes into a vacuum. Your air vent should be allowing air in, but the banging is a sign of not enough.
  • berm
    vacuum breakers

so would you recommend replacing one of the 3 air eliminators with a vacuum breaker?
  • Vacuum breaker

I have a 24 unit building and have found that after a long cycle the radiator valves would struggle to relive the vacuum of the system because as others have agreed the gorton #2 can be slow to open back up. I had looked into vacuum breakers and installed 2 Watts N36 breakers beside my four Gorton #2s and although they have a great capacity I found that they were not sensitive enough to even open on my system. I was next going to purchase a Bell & Gossett - #26 Vacuum Breaker and give it a try. Apparently it is adjustable to lower sensitivity than the Watts. I know a few members here also use normal check valves with success.
  • berm
    vacuum breaker

I just purchased a watts N36 Vacuum Relief Valve.

Did you install yours on a pigtail or just on an antler with your Gorton valves?
  • berm
    vacuum breaker

I just purchased a watts N36 Vacuum Relief Valve.

Did you install yours on a pigtail or just on an antler with your Gorton valves?
  • Relieving the vacuum

I have 3/4 in check valves on the end of my antlers(6) of (3 each) Groton #2's. There is a ball valve in front, I have not had to keep it open, because the Gordons seem able to open up, and the check valves will drip a little bit( maybe not enough slope)--NBC
This discussion has been closed.