Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless PF-110 and Indirect Tank

re8
re8 Member Posts: 13
I am replacing anold oil-fired boiler with a gas-fired Peerless PF-110.

My current setup consists of two zones (one with convectors and the other a small zone with toe kick heaters), and a coil for domestic hot water. There is an Argo zone controller that runs the circulators for the two zones .

I would like to replace this with a Peerless PF-110 and a Peerless Indirect Water Heater. The question is whether there is a way to set the indirect up so that it is connected directly to the Boiler , and have the Argo control the other two zones. That way the Peerless could give the proper modulation etc to the Indirect. I can then also have an outdoor reset modulate the hot water for two zones.

If this isn't possible, then what are the alternatives? Run the indirect off the zone controller as well? This would give it priority but I am concerned it would mess up the modulation as the boiler would not know this zone is for domestic hot water. Or run them in series with the indirect first in line?

As I don;t fully understand this, any suggestions would be welcome.

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Yes Correct

The indirect is piped though the boiler and the heating zones are on the secondary . The indirect is wired and controlled though the PureFire control . When the indirect calls , the boilers pump will shut off and the indirects pump will turn on . The control will also run up to 100% and high temp to heat the tank as fast as posable . After the tank is charged the boiler will return to heat mode if calling , run under the boilers outdoor reset and % which you set that is needed for max heat out put ... It's all in the book the boiler came with
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Don't Forget

To change that aquastat on the kick to a low temp aquastat.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • re8
    Still confused...

I looked through the installation manual, but I'm still a bit confused.... From the manual it looked like the secondary could only be a single zone, but not a controller. I guess what confused me was that the multi-zone diagrams didn't have the indirect connected straight to the boiler to, which, as you say, is inf act what I'm looking for.
  • re8
    Why low-temp?

Why change to a low-temp aquastat?
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Existing Aquastat

Is only good to 120 degrees. Once the water temp drops below that the heater will never come on.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • re8
    I see

I see - the temperature can go lower because of the modulation:-)
  • Big Ed_4
    Additional Zones

Just down loaded the manual , Not sure what issue you have .... Page 20 and 21 show the two way in which the indirect could be piped ...On each of the secondaries ends are marked for additional zones .. Seems the only difference is they want minimum flow if piped directly though the boiler ..
  • re8
    Got it now - thanks

Thanks. I was confused because it didn't show how to hook up my Argo zone relay.

But from figure 7.4 on page 32, it looks I could hook that up to the thermostat connections on the boiler. If I use the second installation option (DHW wired directly to boiler) then my contractor should simply add a relay to the priority zone on the Argo box, so that the indirect DHW really gets priority.

It looks like this would be a slightly better option that running the DHW off the zone relay, since the former would allow the boiler to know that it is a DHW zone, and thus wouldn't apply the same modulation to it etc., right?
  • TMorg
    TMorg Member Posts: 23
    Purefire and peerless partner

Actually the best temp control for the indirect is the optional sensor. Then the indirect water temp is set at the boiler control. This helps because the boiler knows if the tank just requires a temp reheat or it needs a full boiler burn to keep up with a draw. 
  • Big Ed_4
    Kicker Heater

The kicker heater will not come on in milder weather though the outdoor reset which controls the heating systems water temperature . Modulation depends on the load ..

I also agree with TMorg , I would use a sensor off the boiler control( I did not know they had an extra sensor )... use the brain
This discussion has been closed.