Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

mass sheetmetal law

Paul_69
Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
new mass.sheetmetal law, does anybody know a site with info. on where and when you need to pull a permit on residential heating and air conditioning installs and repairs. i am a licensed sheet metal contractor.example when you change out a air condtiong or heating system and tie into exsisting duct with transition or if you add one supply duct or return duct only do you have to pull permit etc.i know if its new construction and whole new system you need this but mainly questions on replacements and minor duct work repairs.very new situation and i am looking for guide lines with residential systems only.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    edited February 2012
    Permit

Paul, I haven't had to pull a permit as of yet. When I spoke to someone about this, i was told that one was not needed for transitioning into existing duct work. If there is any additional ducts run, etc, then I believe you need a permit. I would check with your town's building department, and see what they say. I'm sure it is quite interesting how each town will differ, like most things
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    duct run

thanks for your input bill.if you were going to run a 8 inch supply duct to imrove heat would you pull a permit for something this small?this whole thing seems crazy. i can see new construction projects and whole new systems but for small duct run or two you are going to pull a permit where every thing else is exsisting?and have it inspected on a system that more than likely has other outdated ducts.and pay a mechanical and or a sheetmetal permit fee for a tiny situation. i dont get it, are they just looking to make money on any job big or small?so what are they looking at if you just add something small, that what you ran is up to code only? there must be some guide lines to go by like the cmr code for burners that states whats required. this is all to new and grey to know whatssuppose to be done to stay out of trouble.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I think

everyone wants to be paid nowadays. It's sad but true. I think we all got backed into a corner with this, and the only way out was to break out the checkbook. I would say that it would need to be permitted. If you find something out share it, as i will here also. The sad part is that it is an across the board thing, and had little to do with residential ducting. From what I gather, it was brought on by some commercial ducting mishaps
This discussion has been closed.