Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water leak from gas meter???

Options
STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967
Good morning. I was on a job yesterday and noticed what seemed to be some sort of liquid gripping from or leaking from the water meter.There was a very small puddle under the meter and the meter was very slightly wet. I looked around and couldn't find any other leak source. Is it possible that it is coming from the meter itself and if yes what would the cause be? Is it possible that there is an underground gas pipe that has a hole and some water is getting in? Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• VictoriaEnergy
    VictoriaEnergy Member Posts: 126
    Options
    leaking meter

I had to giggle a bit when I read this one:  If there is a leak in the meter or the high pressure underground piping supplying it; the gas genie is getting out of the bottle and we should all start running away.

The water you saw may have been from condensation on the cold meter set if the ambiant air was damp, or, water leak elsewhere is running along and down on the outside of the piping.
    Home Owners Please Note:

You are receiving advice from some very skilled pros completely free of charge. One of the reasons I participate is to sharpen my own troubleshooting skills. So; did we get it right? I would be grateful if you extend this courtesy back by posting the final outcome of the issue you are inquiring about. Thanks
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    Why here?

There is no condensation on the cold water pipes or anywhere else in the area. The moisture in question is only at the point on the gas meter where the two sides meet. My knowledge of the physics of condensation is very limited bit I am under the impression that condensation results from temperature difference. Does the gas coming in from the cold outdoors result in enough of a temperature change to result in condensation.
  • VictoriaEnergy
    VictoriaEnergy Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Hmmm...

Well, that is curious.  The only guess I'd make is maybe the mercaptan odorant has permeated the meter case gasket material (as it does on rubber LPG pigtails) and it's making the gasket material hygroscopic...?... .
    Home Owners Please Note:

You are receiving advice from some very skilled pros completely free of charge. One of the reasons I participate is to sharpen my own troubleshooting skills. So; did we get it right? I would be grateful if you extend this courtesy back by posting the final outcome of the issue you are inquiring about. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.