Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Glass Water gauge-steam boiler

Hi,

I have a question regarding the water level in the boiler. I am wondering if the two valves, one on top and one on bottom, of the glass gauge are supposed to be open or closed when checking water level?

Please see the pictures for more details.

Thanks!

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Open

Both need to be open to check level.
  • mhj
    mhj Member Posts: 10
    thanks

Should I just leave them open all the time?
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    If they don't leak.

Then sure.
  • mhj
    water level

So I have left both the values open but every time the boiler turn on, the level in the gauge goes down a lot. The boiler wont start again until I add more water. I only add a little bit of water and the gauge goes up a lot and the boiler starts up again. Any idea why this could be?
  • mhj
    water level

So I have left both the values open but every time the boiler turn on, the level in the gauge goes down a lot. The boiler wont start again until I add more water. I only add a little bit of water and the gauge goes up a lot and the boiler starts up again. Any idea why this could be?

Thanks
  • SchenleySeven
    SchenleySeven Member Posts: 27
    water level

Is the water level correct? The boiler is making steam from the water, and the low water cut off (LWCO) is shutting it down for safety when the water level gets too low.

You should post your problem- boiler shut off during heat cycle- in the steam section. There could be a couple of problems that have nothing to do withe the glass gauge.
    One pipe steam, Weil-McLain 380 , pipes mostly insulated, 32 radiators!

Bock 32E water heater, Bock M-SR burner with .75 80A nozzle.
  • mhj
    thanks

Thanks, I'll post it in steam.
This discussion has been closed.