Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is this goo inside my oil burning HW heater?

AaronH
AaronH Member Posts: 59
Please take a look at the attached photo of the flue on my 10 year old Bock 32e oil fired water heater. In addition to the soot, there seem to be these balls of goo - what are they? Where are they from? 
2001 Weil McLain SGO-3 Steam Boiler/Beckett AFG oil burner. Vaporstat running at 1.0psi max. Single-pipe, counterflow system (w/near-boiler drips) connected to 8 radiators heating 1400sq/ft (2 stories) in Central NJ, built in 1915. Bock 32e Oil-Fired H/W heater w/Wayne burner. Lots to do and getting there slowly.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Bock

It's looks like incomplete combustion to me. What burner, and nozzle specs are you running, and where is the baffle that goes in it?  I think someone has down fired too much, or low pump pressure, incorrect nozzle and adjustment, or all of the above
  • AaronH
    AaronH Member Posts: 59
    edited January 2012
    We Just Had It Serviced...

this past June, but I'm not sure if it was ever serviced beforehand!

The burner tech did not mention anything out of the ordinary, but he had to poke a hole in the stackpipe for his combustion analyzer, which makes me think it wasn't ever done before.

Bill: What is this baffle? Do you have a picture or part number that I could call Bock with?
    2001 Weil McLain SGO-3 Steam Boiler/Beckett AFG oil burner. Vaporstat running at 1.0psi max. Single-pipe, counterflow system (w/near-boiler drips) connected to 8 radiators heating 1400sq/ft (2 stories) in Central NJ, built in 1915. Bock 32e Oil-Fired H/W heater w/Wayne burner. Lots to do and getting there slowly.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    anode

Hello:  It looks like the anode has never been replaced.  It's time!

Yours,  Larry
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    baffle

It looks like a bullet that is hollow , has no point, about 2 inches around, and 6-7 inches long. The only reason it should be pulled is during cleaning, or if there is not a negative draft overfire. It may also be a leaking tank, but let's hope not.
This discussion has been closed.