Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

carlin 301 crd

rm72
rm72 Member Posts: 13
having trouble with combustion. set burner with carlin factory specs.  Carlin 301 Weil McLain 680 - pressure  over the fire seems high

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Positive pressure Carlin:

The 680 M/M is a positive pressure fired boiler and the Carlin 301CRD is designed for such. Is it set up with instruments as per spec's?\

Did you call Carlin Tech Support?

You may have other issues. That's a very reliable and trouble free combination when set up properly. Proper set up is the key.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Is there a baffle?

In the rear outlet? I have seen them close down too much. As Ice said, the boiler is a positive pressure boiler, but they will run just a little better with a 0, or -.01 over fire draft. I don't have the burner specs in front of me, but I find a 45 solid works best, if no 45, then a 60 degree will also cut it. Always start with manufactures specs, test combustion, and go from there. Thorough cleaning on those is also a must!!
  • icesailor
    Boiler.Burner:

And if it isn't set up properly it will soot up in an instant. To clean it, you have to take the bonnet/hood off the top, the cleanout plates from the left side, and brush it all into the chamber. Then, take the front off and clean it all out.

The target in the back wants to fall over. That makes it run like crap. Take the rug out and clean under it. I replace the factory rug with a piece of Lynn Wet Blanket so next time, I can easily slide the whole rug out to clean under it and suck the kibbles and bits off the rug. Set it up to Carlins OEM specs and you are good to go. But that baffle in the back is critical.
  • rm72
    carlin 301 crd

The boiler has been serviced annually and is at least 12 years old.  the start of the problem was oil lines and an old under ground tank.  ran new oil lines (higher in the tank).  the pump pressure is set at 100psi -carlin specs 150psi.  when i turned up the pump pressure to 150psi the flame was much worse. i throughly cleaned the boiler including the chamber and spoke w/ Carlin set the burner to there specs.  i set the baffle to weil mclain guidelines and the unit has .05 draft.  no improvement with the flame or smoke test.
  • rm72
    carlin 301 crd

The boiler has been serviced annually and is at least 12 years old.  the start of the problem was oil lines and an old under ground tank.  ran new oil lines (higher in the tank).  the pump pressure is set at 100psi -carlin specs 150psi.  when i turned up the pump pressure to 150psi the flame was much worse. i throughly cleaned the boiler including the chamber and spoke w/ Carlin set the burner to there specs.  i set the baffle to weil mclain guidelines and the unit has .05 draft.  no improvement with the flame or smoke test.
  • Ed N.Y.C.
    Ed N.Y.C. Member Posts: 73
    rm72

That .05 draft you have on job. Is that - or + . If - you must have + over fire. Most W/m I work on need +.10 . Recheck  specs. for that combo. Go back to the 150 psi. Make sure it has delay { st70 } Set Z  and air band. Like stated  that is a sweet running combo. Hope this helps.  ED N.Y.C.
  • rm72
    finally found the problem

went through all the settings with rep and found that the end cone that attached to the blast tube was no longer there. parts ordered

thanks for the suggestions
  • icesailor
    Carlin 301 CRD

Funny, that stupid end cone falling off will really screw up the flame.

No matter where you set the retention head, you just can't seem to get enough pressure in the flame to get complete combustion.
  • rm72
    lesson learned

wnen i had the gun out there was any sign of the end cone and the retention head was in good shape.  i should have had a closer look at the end of the blast tube. i think this job had me rattled.  thanks
This discussion has been closed.