Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tankless gas heaters/gas boiler?

Grich
Grich Member Posts: 3
Thinking of replacing OLD gas boiler w/condensing one... ALSO replacing 40 gal water heater. Thinking of using new gas boiler and a gas tankless water heater.

Makes more sense that gas boiler and indirect water heater. Can't stand heating 40 gals of STORAGE water. Advice please  thanks 

Comments

• bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Boiler / TGWH

If you use a condensing boiler and tankless gas water heater you will have two appliances to vent. If installing a condensing gas boiler and tankless gas water heater you might have to get your gas line updated and made larger because tankless gas water heater require 150,000 - 199,000 BTU. your 1/2" or 3/4" gas line might not be large enough to run the condensing gas boiler + tankless gas water heater and other gas appliances all at the same time without making the gas line larger. Take a look at using the Triangle Tube Prestige Excellence PE100 (www.triangletube.com) the PE110 is a 110,000 input condensing gas boiler with a 14 gallon stainless steel indirect water built in that delivers 180 GPH of domestic hot water. As long as you do not have a whirlpool tub to fill this boiler will make enough hot water that can run two showers at one time if you use Alsons - Delta 1.6 GPM shower heads. If you need more domestic hot water you can use their Prestige Solo boiler and their Smart SS indirect water heater. Triangle Tube now offers a Challenger combi condensing gas boiler and domestic hot water heater all in one small wall hung boiler/water heater. The unit does heating and domestic hot water and there is no stored water in a tank. Get a professional to help you. Good luck.
  • MikeG
    MikeG Member Posts: 169
    Boiler and indirect

I'm not recommending any particular brand of equipment but I've been there.  Originally had an 210K LP boiler and electric WH when I bought the place.  In the 80s I installed an Aqua Star tankless because of the percieved standby loss issue.  Had to up grade the venting.  I used it for almost 20 years with very little issue. i got my moneys worth.   Not the high flow of some of the newer models but we learned to use one water drawing appliance at a time.  Now I have a modcon 27K-80K and and an indirect.  I have to say my LP use for the DHW is no more than with the tankless.  I track the LP use in the summer to get a baseline for DHW.  I have one LP burning appliance now, one vent, never a problem with running out of hot water, there are only two of us.  We still tend to use DHW like we had a tankless, but I don't worry about the on off faucet use when washing dishes ec.  I suppose a possible down side is that if something goes wrong with the modcon, especially in the winter I don't have heat or hot water.  Personally I prefer the indirect in my situation, but I also like tankless DHW in some applications..  As Bob indicated a lot of good combi products out there.  Mike 
  • Grich
    tankless gas heater/gas boiler

Thanks for the info Bob  What is the material of the 14 gal tank in the Prestige Excell.
  • Grich
    edited January 2012
    tankless gas heater/gas boiler

Thanks for the info Bob  What is the material of the 14 gal tank in the Prestige Excell.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Triangle Tube PE110

The Triangle Tube PE110 boiler with built in indirect water heater. The indirect water heater is made out of stainless steel. The heat exchanger is also made out of stainless steel. you can contact Triangle Tube and they can let you know what grade stainless steel they both are. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.