Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler piping

Tad
Tad Member Posts: 1
With the help of a plumber, I replaced my steam boiler a couple of years ago. There have problems with water hammer and water from a main vent since then. I know now that the boiler piping was not done correctly. Copper pipe, not enough height above water line, and more. Does anyone know of a good steam plumber in the Albany, NY area that I could call for help?

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    edited December 2011
    Finding a Steam Contractor

You probably already tried the "Find a Contractor" search, but there may be some good local contractors who aren't listed there. I recently had someone from a company I found on Angie's List come out to check my burners out. He ran all the tests, then he started looking at the piping and asking me about the system. I could tell he knew his way around steam systems from the questions he asked, but when he mentioned that he had taken one of Dan Holohan's courses, I knew I'd found a qualified steam professional. I don't know why he's not listed here--he said he was aware of the site.

Since your furnace is keeping you warm for the time being, I assume you won't be getting it repiped until spring, so you have a little time to work with. You've apparently already learned a lot about how steam systems work, and you are continuing your education through the resources available here. You may have even ordered some of Dan's publications. So you will probably find that, when you talk to different HVAC techs, you're able to tell the good ones from the not-so-good ones.

Start calling around and see if you can get people to stop by and look things over and give you an estimate on repiping your boiler. You're not looking for the lowest bid; you're looking for the best plan to maximize the value of this boiler you've invested in. Give them free reign to look at everything and ask you questions and see who really takes advantage of it. If they think they know how to solve all your problems in five minutes without even talking to you, thank them for their time and show them the door.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • improved piping

one consideration would be the time without heat in removing the bushings on the riser tappings, and re-piping them full size into a proper [drop] header. the bushings may need to be cut out. if you decide to proceed this winter, i would try the application of a bit of paraffin wax on the threads for a day or 2 before work starts.--nbc
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Paraffin (Off Topic)

Does this really work? I've seen this mentioned a couple of times now. At first I just dismissed it because I thought nothing could ever get through the old pipe joint compound, but it's harder to dismiss when someone who obviously knows his stuff says it. I might be doing some work on my mains next summer, so if this works it will be a big help!
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.