Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wireless glitch

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
Here's an interesting story from the U.K.

<a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-16354487">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-16354487</a>
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    wireless

I had a remote starter put in the wifes mini-van a few years ago, and was playing around with a function that makes the lights flash while at a mall parking lot. The sliding door of a mini-van next to ours opened up. Oops. I waited for a while and no one came, so I closed it. So much for security.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    nothing new

Years ago we had two way radios in the vans. I went to a house for a service call and no one was home. I keyed the radio to call dispatch and the garage door opened. I looked around, but no sign of a car. Keying the mic again closed the door.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    My girlfreind sells garage doors close to

a military base. Every once in a while they run there cummuications scrambler and it causes unprecedented havoc with garage doors. Some doors randomly open and close while others don't work at all. One guy came home and hit the button to open his door and the neighbors door opened and his stayed closed.
  • pipe4zen
    pipe4zen Member Posts: 108
    Not just wireless

But line interference can occur on digital thermostats also.

I just recently had a no heat call on one zone , but the rest of the house was ok, this one zone is controlled by Tekmar Tn4 setpoint control. After a phone call to Tekmar we theorized that since the contol is located in the mechanical room along with all the audio-video equipment, and electric, that interference could have occurred , but not affect the other communicating thermostats. Just rechecked settings and powered on/off and it started working again by itself.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Death by X10...

I purchased and installed an X10 wireless camera set up so I could be in the mountains, even when I am NOT in the mountains. One slight problem...

Whenever the camera is on, none of my other wireless equipment (cell phones, wireless land lines and wireless PC communications) works until I shut the camera sender unit off..

I suspect there are wireless cameras in the vicinity of these problems. I eventually switches to a wired type of Pan Tilt Zoom camera, and have not suffered an outage since. Recently, the digital converter on my PTZ decided to quit working, so I hooked the wireless unit back up to make sure it wasn't something else, and everything wireless dies when it is on, again, still...

Big brother is watching you :-)

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.