Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham boiler-Beckett Stuff

grinder
grinder Member Posts: 5
Help. My 7 year old, chimney vented Burnham boiler with Beckett ewuipment is acting odd. When its cold outside, more dense air I suspect, it baffles and has repeated flame outs with the chimney attached. Take the chimney off...and it runs...but gives thayt ole "woof,woof" sound. Its got new fuel filters, new Delavan. 50x70° nozzle, new electrodes, clean air tube.its burning #2 diesel. Air wheel is at 2.5 and Suntec B2ya-8916 pump is putting out 140psi with a slight squeal. (Perhaps the squeal is cavatation and minute air bubbles due to a bad seal?) The are no obvious fuel leaks. Its got no intake piping as it used the ambient air from the garage? Any thoughts asto what is going on?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    There's a bunch of things to check....

First more questions..Was the boiler properly cleaned? Did you use an analyzer to check draft? Did anyone inspect the chimney for damage/obstructions? How bout pressure and vacuum gauges? Squealing sound could be a high vacuum, pump starving for fuel, or sucking in air. Did things go bad all at once? Do you have the right nozzle, according to the Beckett OEM Guide? If all of those are correct, fire it up, look at the flame, check the amp draw on the burner motor, do a smoke & combustion test, an show us what is going on. You would also benefit from prep urge.
    steve
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Beckett Burner:

It sounds to me like the filter system is clogged up. It also sounds like you have an outside tank and the cold oil is sludging in the filters.

I'm outspoken on this but unless you have Spin-On filters, and have two of them, sludge will pass through the filter and end up in the pump strainer and nozzle strainer. In my experience, "woofing dog syndrome" is almost always caused by a fuel delivery problem. Cranky Baby Burner Syndrome (Whining) is a symptom of this.

If someone takes the nozzle assembly out of the burner carefully and holds it with the nozzle up. and oil doesn't freely flow out of the bottom, the nozzle strainer is plugged up and no matter how high you set the pressure, you are not getting 140# PSI of pressure through the nozzle orifice.

Check the blower fan for animal dander. It will cut down the air flow.

It needs service. Now.
  • grinder
    burnham boiler with beckett stuff

Thanks guys! Darn thing is odd. New nozzle..fuel flows free out of the tube. The oil tank snd piping are all room temp. Im gunna clean the heck outa the unit. Is there some sort of tiny of filter/ screen thats inside the suntec pump? I have not seen one but maybe there is one? Its got the 8916 pump. As for filters...ive got one canister fuel/warer/ filter type and one clear small disposable type that the pre filter. I do appreciate the suggestions...a lot.
  • grinder

Thanks guys! Darn thing is odd. New nozzle..fuel flows free out of the tube. The oil tank snd piping are all room temp. Im gunna clean the heck outa the unit. Is there some sort of tiny of filter/ screen thats inside the suntec pump? I have not seen one but maybe there is one? Its got the 8916 pump. As for filters...ive got one canister fuel/warer/ filter type and one clear small disposable type that the pre filter. I do appreciate the suggestions...a lot.
  • grinder

Ok..new filters and a new pump seem to solve the whining and woofing issues.is there a hidden filter inside the 2yba-8916 pump? Cleaned the air intake and fan. Now....twice..the electrodes have not fired...thus no flame. This is an intermittent problem. Some days...runs good...others..it wont fire..then it does. Is this a weak transformer or? The electrodes are new and set with the gauge. Nozzle new. Firing pin #2 is good and clean. Cad eye clean. Thoughts?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    new pump

You might want to check the new pump's pressure. New pumps come thru set at 100 PSI, and your unit was most likely set at 140. You mention a firing pin #2, is this an AF-2?
  • grinder
    Suntec pump/ Beckett stuff

Yes. AF2-85. Pump is at 140 PSI. working well so far. Intermittent non-sparking from the electrodes worries me. only happens every once in a blue moon. I cant imagine that there is a filter INSIDE the pump...but maybe you guys know other.

ignition loss...perhaps a transformer going south?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    this sounds

like a direct vent boiler. What model Burnham? Pre and post purge? Chimney vented you say, what is over fire draft reading? Ignition is very touch, as all settings are on an AF-2. May be time for a new set of electrodes as well, and set with a gauge. What are the other combustion readings? 
This discussion has been closed.