Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

vent damper motor

Options
MikeG
MikeG Member Posts: 169
I have a Burnham series 2 boiler with a Flair 6" vent damper.  I think I've isolated the problem to the 24V motor.  Anyone know of a source for a replacement?  I'm still trying some local suppliers, internet etc,  but thought I would throw this out to the wall also.  Checked power to the motor, it's ok but when power is cut when running through a cycle it won't open. Spring on damper is ok.  Motor is real raspy.  I have it in service mode with damper open so the boiler can operate. Thanks for any help or anything else I should look at.   Mike

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    check

for any screws that may be in it's way. I'm not sure the age of the one you have, but the early models had that problem, so you would find very short, or no screw in the joints around it. If you can not locate parts, I would look into replacing it with a Field stack damper
  • MikeG
    Options
    What is the energy savings

Thanks for the reply.  Nothing in the way.  The motor just doesn't have the torque to fully close the damper and when power is off to the motor when it is suppose to open it appears that the guts of the motor are probably worn and the damper spring won't force it fully open to engage the switch to start the ignition cycle. It was installed in 1989.    Currently it is open in the service position so the boiler can function.  The boiler is in a basement in my son's house.  It's not heated except for the heat from the boiler and related pipes.  I did contact the manufaturer for a replacement part or parts and yikes.  Not to discuss pricing, but the little 24V motor is over 1/3 the cost of a complete damper unit, the motor and circuit board is over 2/3 the cost of a complete unit. The bad part is that they are no longer making these so what parts are on the shelf is what they have.  I will probably look into a different brand that is currently supported.  If it would have failed before Christmas, it would have been his present.  My other question is what is the energy savings with a vent damper?  This boiler does not have any other safety swtches such as a blocked flue sensor on it.  There is about 4' of horizontal 6" pipe then into a brick chimmney up two stories through the center of an old farm house.  I look at it as money up the chimmney, but he looks at it as cash out of his pocket.  Thanks for any guidance.  Mike
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Vent dampers

The dampers are required by most codes to prevent the heat from the casting escaping up the chimney. The new dampers are mostly made by Effikal. That the device lasted over 20 years is very good. Replacement parts are not available, you must replace the entire assembly. Is there a chimney liner? A low water cutoff? A manual reset high limit switch?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    configuration

Not familiar with that boiler, but does the damper have a standard shaft on it?  If so, Belimo surely has something that will turn it.
  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578
    Options
    flue damper

Flair is long gone and Field Controls bought out Effikal.

The savings on flue dampers is based on having high draft in the chimney after the unit shuts down.  I think the Dept of Energy adds 10% to the AFUE rating if there is a damper.

Check the draft after the boiler shuts down.  If it stays above -01" to -02" a flue damper might save 3-5%.  If the draft drops to almost nothing the damper will save nothing.
  • MikeG
    Options
    Vent damper

Paul   It's a brick chimney in good shape but it is not lined.  No separate LWCO or manual reset switch.  My son bought this house last year and this is his second winter in it.  The boiler was installed in 1989.  We cleaned the boiler and set it with a combustion analylzer  and rewired all the zone valve so they would work as designed.  We want to do some other work on it after the heating season, but right now we are leaving well enaough alone.  It has an old style expansion tank which we want to repalce with a diaphragm type, need feed water valve and air eliminator.  All in all it works pretty well.  The house is mostly copper finned BB, but there are a few old cast iron radiators and BB on a zone with monoflo tees.  Those upgrades will be another thread.

Jim,  Flair is still in business and I can get parts but they are selling existing stock and not making any more of these parts.  Do I want to buy a part that is discontinued or go with another current brand.  Although 22 years on the original isn't too shabby.  Is there something better to install,  barametric damper?  Is it advisable to put on a a blocked flue safety switch, etc.  I don't think a new boiler is in his future right now but he is smart enough to look long term.   Thanks for all the guidance.  MIke
  • Stack damper alternatives

If you got 22 years out of the flair and the parts price is reasonable , i would go that route.  Whatever you do, avoid using the Effikal/Field dampers.....they are now cheap poorly made units that typically only last a couple of years.  The older models (about 5 or more years old) held up well, but not the new.
    The Steam Whisperer (Formerly Boilerpro)

Chicago's Steam Heating Expert

Noisy Radiators are a Cry for Help
This discussion has been closed.