Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

check valve on fresh water line?

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
A friend of ours had her steam boiler repiped two days ago after I had recommend having what was there replaced due to a very poor installation.  The new piping looks great but one thing caught my attention.

There is a swing checkvalve on the makeup water line right before it enters the wet return.  What is the reason for this?  I would think with a backflow preventer the checkvalve doesn't really serve a purpose unless it is somehow to protect the autofeed? 
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    I think that's normal

I have a McDonnel Miller.  The feeder is installed "ON" the check valve.  Must be for cleaning although I have never cleaned mine.  Further down the line towards the wet return, I have the backflow preventer.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    a lot of inspectors

want to see a swing check between the boiler pipe and the backflow preventer due to temperature ratings for many backflow preventers being lower than the steam temperature. I felt the same way the first time i was flagged by an inspector for it missing..now we specifically ask for a watts 9d which is rated for a higher temp..but many areas want a testable backflow..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    Options
    checkvalve

Gerry,

Should I install one on my system? I already passed my final inspection but if its something that really matters I don't mind installing it. I have manual feed only.

The backflow preventer I installed is a Watts 0063191 rated for 250F. Sounds like it handles steam fine but I can't find any actual info on it on the web.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    in my neck of the woods

anything rated at 250 degrees doesn't need any 'help' from a swing check so i wouldn't bother to alter your set up.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

This discussion has been closed.