Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure Test Air vs Water

Options
Nik
Nik Member Posts: 3
it seems like there is no industry standardized testing methodology for pressure testing radiant piping. From what I have read the decision of using air versus water is mainly related to safety. Are there other issues in terms of accuracy/reliability depending on what is used?

The following is commonly found in radiant glossaries regarding pressure testing:

The introduction of helium, nitrogen, oxygen, or other type of air to pressurize the system for testing is not an acceptable test and will likely result in inaccurate conclusions.

What are the issues other than safety?

Also, there seems to be a huge range of suggested pressures that these tests should be performed at. I have seem as low as normal operating pressure all the way up to 120PSI. I have read that code requires a hydrostatic test at 100PSI.

Is it possible that at low pressure and cold temperatures some leaks do not show up?

Thank you in advance for any information or opinions.

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Air vs Water

Air will give you a more stable reading, and it does not freeze..... that's your safety.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited December 2011
    Options
    PSI and temperatures

Usually 100 psi, I guess you could go higher so long as the pressure rating of tubing, and fittings is not exceeded.

If workmanship is border line then yes testing at lower pressures may not reveal a leak that may show up at a higher PSI. Temperature could play a role in this also thinking expansion contraction from low to high temps.

You can hydrostatic test, but the water in the system would have to aclimate to the surrounding temperature before any kind of baseline can be established.  Think expansion contraction of system components. If the enviroment has wild swings in temps during testing it will reflect in your readings.

Gordy

• NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Options
    acceptable

Is 10psi over 48hrs an acceptable measurement of pressure loss?
    :NYplumber:
This discussion has been closed.