Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

rich57

rich57
rich57 Member Posts: 5
Hello newbie here .I recently upgraded my old American Standard boiler with a Buderus g115 with a Reillo  burner and a superstore for hot water

A  friend of mine is a plumber and he did the install. Here's whats goiing on,, the burner wil start and run for about 8 to ten seconds and the it will fire, sometimes smoothly ,more often with a slight bang(or thud if you will)

My friend says the delay is normal (of course it didnt bang when he was here to check it out) also it seems to shortcycle quite a bit.  Is this in fact normal or is there something that can be adjusted?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    set up

You will find many threads on here regarding this boiler and these issues. it needs someone who know's how to adjust and test with combustion tester, and draft  tester. It's that simple. If someone just throws the switch, and if fires off, and leaves it, not good enough. Call an oil service tech/company
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    definately

a set up issue, most likely draft. The delay is normal (pre-purge), the thud is probably normal, but the bang is not.  You probably have way too much draft.  Next time it goes to fire (youll hear it coming with the pre purge), open the draft regulator all the way up, it'll probably fire smoother.  Just dont leave it propped open.

Short cycling is probably a control/set-up issue.  How is the boiler piped/controlled?
    steve
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Riello

will recycle if things are not up to par with the flame. That is most likely your short cycle, it is more of a restart or recycle. There is a delay on start up, but it should start and run smooth
  • rich57
    edited December 2011
    alright

thank you Bill and Steve, great info! Sounds  like its not as bad as I thought.

I am still going to get a tech in to set up the burner. The boiler is piped for three zones : 2 floors and a super store,Controller is a Beckett Aquasmart model 7600
  • rich57
    nice to know

I,m going to try the draft test .One thing i didn't mention is the riello has a tag on the burner that says it's set up for a g115 .
  • rich57
    No bang

Ok I did the draft test twice and both times it started smooth , just a slight puff out the stack,  very nice  Thank you Steve! Here is the info on the tag: Facrtory preset for g115ws4  " oem custom set up for Bederus"

Pump preasure :145                 Nozzle .75x60B

air set:2.50                                Headset:1.00

I would assume this is set up in the Ball Park ,just needs to be tuned. Am I correct?

What type of tools should a tech have to fine tune the burner
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Well for starters......

Your tech needs a (in my opinion) a digital combustion analyzers to check the draft and combustion, and a smoke gun.  Also pressure/vacuum gauges w/adapters for a Riello.  This is basically what I would do:

Check the initial listed settings and nozzle.  Hook up the inline pressure gauge, fire up burner to check pressure.  Check/adjust draft.  You may need the draft regulator adjusted/replaced, or you may have to add a second regulator, or the George Lanthier flue pipe trick.

When your happy with the draft.....then the usual.  Smoke test to trace of smoke, check combustion & adjust, back off 1% on the CO2.

When you said 'short cycling'...how short of a time are we talking?  And by 'short' do you mean the call for heat is being satisfied quickly, or the burner is shutting down, recycling and firing again?

BTW, before you do all that, I would open up the boiler/take the flue pipe off, and makes sure everything is AOK.

If after all this, you still experience problems with the short cycling, it'll be time for some advanced troubleshooting....but hopefully after your tech does all the right things, you'll be fine.
    steve
  • rich57
    Its not

shutting recyling and firing again. but it will come on for 5 seconds or so and the shutdown on occasion when calling for heat, but  that sounds normal. In fact after the information I got from you I think its set up close to where it should be from the factory but just needs to be fine tuned. Thank you again SteveusaPA

ps do you come to mass to work lol
This discussion has been closed.