Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

return duct into back of furnaces

Options
Paul_69
Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
i have seen a few warm air furnaces where they didnt come into the left or right side of furnace for return air duct connection,instead they cut a hole in rear of furnace. every manual i have looked at the manufacturer says a big no to this. i am curious if anybody knows why and what it does or doesnt do to the furnace life or operation.

Comments

• add
    add Member Posts: 94
    Options
    hi-boy /low boy

there is different types of air furnaces. what is exactly that you are looking for?
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    Options
    highboy

hi boy furnaces
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    No

Check the manufacturers instructions. I'd guess  you'd really be hurting on airflow doing it that way since the air would hit the back of the blower housing and be greatly restricted. As short as today's furnaces are (I know, coils are tall) build a box under the furnace and come in the box. 
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Hazard of open blower cabinet ....

The blower and fuel combustion would be fighting for the same oxygen ...Improper combustion creates CO .

The open blower cabinet will cause a negative pressure in furnace room countering the pressure drop needed for properly venting combustibles to the outside ...

The free wheeling blower without the resistance of a return duct will blow less air and increase amp draw.....

Less air would increase temperature diff across the

heat exchanger , eventually burning a hole in heat exchanger ...

Higher amp draw , could blow a fuse , burn up controls , motors and wires ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.