Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil bubbles

Diceman
Diceman Member Posts: 1
Have a 2 pipe oil pump A2va7116.  Customer had water in oil, had water pumped out.  Now when we have an oil cannister installed, there are what appear to be air bubbles going to the pump.  Changed all gaskets on the filter cannister, same thing.  Replaced with new cannister and fittings, same thing.  With cannister removed, no bubbles and system runs fine.  Vacuum is 8", doesn't change with or without the filter.  When system is off, the bubbles seem to migrate slowly toward the tank, but, vacuum doesn't rise.  The only thing that has changed since last year when we had no problems, was that water got in the oil.  Please help.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited December 2011
    Bubbles and gauges:

8" is significant vacuum. Are you using a 2-pipe system> Or a single pipe system? What is the "lift" in feet? Is the tank above the pump/burner or below the burner?

30" of vacuum (a perfect vacuum) will lift water 33', 25 feet practically. Therefore, for myself, I use a retarded unit of  1" of vacuum will lift 1' of water. Oil is lighter than water. So, I hope that you see that 8" of vacuum is a lot.

It seems that there is an oil line restriction or a bad gauge.

If the gauge doesn't go up and down as you pump and stop, there may be something wrong with the gauge.

Need more information and pictures.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    bubbles

How can you see them? You will want to blow all lines, re check the tank for water, change all filters, strainer, nozzle, and flush water you can out. You need to add some kind of treatment or water absorbent. The filter is needed, so I would change it and all the gaskets. What filter brand/model do you have? Was this an underground tank? Why the 2 pipe system?
This discussion has been closed.