Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

osv in mass.

Options
Paul_69
Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
i have seen osv valve on several outside tanks in wood shed enclosures. the state says not to put them on where there is freezing. these rooms dont seem to have any problems with freezing oil lines etc. webster says they can go in temps. of 32 degrees and webster says 0 degree. i dont use the valve in these situations but i am curious about the application. i am a tech.  thx for any commments.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    OSV

Paul, I have installed them on tanks that are out of the weather outside, in cold unheated garages, sheds,etc. I have never seen a law saying otherwise, it is more of a manufacture thing. If they are exposed to rain, snow, etc, and it can enter and freeze, then there will be a problem. The temp is not so much the killer I think, it's the potential for a frozen, cracked valve. The thicker colder oil shouldn't be an issue with it closing, never found that to be an issue either. 
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    Options
    hey bill

thx for your comment. this is what i felt as well but needed another techs. opinion.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    anytime

Here and Oil Tech Talk is the place to ask questions, and get answers
  • Coany
    Coany Member Posts: 91
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I avoid installing them in cold locations.

This has to do with performance issues in severe weather.

The law says you must have an osv or continuous nonmetallic sheathing on the line.

on rare occasions where I did install one in a cold location to comply with the new law,

I make certain to treat (Winterflow is my current favorite) that tank before the truly cold weather sets in.

I don't love doing it

I would rather replace the line with a sheathed type,

I have fewer problems with Suntec OSVs than Webster brand.

" Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Teddy Roosevelt
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Sheathed Lines:

" I don't love doing it

I would rather replace the line with a sheathed type, "

What do you mean. Bare copper in a conduit like NMT or the plastic covered orange stuff are both legal in MA.

You need to run this by Firedragon on this. He is the second from the final arbitor on all things oil in MA.
This discussion has been closed.