Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Limit Circuit

I have a Peerless Pinnacle Oil Boiler with a Beckett AFG Burner (R7184P). The boiler's Boiler Limit Circuit has what I assume to be two ways to kill the burner. One I guess is no flame? The other is a high temperature cut-off? Anyway, I am also wondering about the two devices that the "sensors" are plugged into. One has what appears to be a reset button... this seems reasonable to me. The other has a slotted screw which appears to be an adjustment of some sort. There are no numbers, hash marks or scale so I'm not sure what it does. The boiler paperwork says NOTHING of these two pieces of hardware.

Trying to figure out why the blower motor does not post purge when burner is kicked off due to no flame/flame cut out.

Thanks!

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Call A Pro

Your dealing with a condensing oil boiler, suggest you call someone that knows them in and out.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Jarb
    Jarb Member Posts: 17
    Pro

I had two boiler techs out. Neither have ever seen this boiler before. Neither had any idea. I called a company that was listed on peerless website as an installer and asked if they had special training from peerless. They said they had no such training and were just trained on boilers in general. Then they gave me the same ridiculous line that other companies have that I would have to be a customer for them to come out. I asked what that means because I thought if they came out and did work, sent me a bill and I paid them I would then become a customer (based on my basic knowledge and experience). They said they would have to "set me up in the system". OK, thanks for your help?

Maybe I should try contacting peerless... oh wait, they are basically impossible to get a hold of.

I should have bought a nice normal boiler like everyone else that people know and are tried and true. Anyone want a used peerless??? AAHHH!!!!!!! I'm ripped!! This thing is about 1 missfire away from eating a sledge hammer. I don't have time for this.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Who Installed It

Where are you located? Can't you call the company that installed it. A good oil tech who can read and is not afraid to ask a question should be able to help you out.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Jarb
    Found more info

I just found out what the two devices are in the replacement part list. The one with the push button reset is the Vent Temperature Limit. The one with the adjustable screw is the Boiler Temperature Limit. I have no idea why and if that adjustment makes a difference. I thought that the Boiler Temperature Limit was a permanent maximum that would keep the unit from destroying itself if something went wrong and it did not shut off.
  • Jarb
    Calming down

Sorry about my venting above. Just frustrated with the thing because it is tough to find answers on things and when I give up and call a tech, seems I'm right where I left off. Come to think of it, my problems all started after I called a tech last year to have the boiler properly adjusted with instruments so that it was as efficient as possible. Ever since, nothing but problems. Around same time I got a fuel delivery from a place different from my normal place. It was a through a broker and they sent a very prominent name company out to do the delivery. Not sure if that could be an issue.

I will try  contacting peerless about the adjustment on the boiler temperature limit and post what I find out if anything. Thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm in CT, close to middletown.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    If

your constant power is interrupted to the primary you will not have a post purge.  You have two power leg's that go to your primary, one is direct from the service switch, the other through your safety circut.. It should be simple for someone to troubleshoot your problem with a meter...
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    post purge

like my friend before me, sounds like it is not wired for post purge.  L-1 is to have power constantly.  Limit is wired from your B-1. It only gets power when there is a call for heat/hot water from your aquastat, and it is below high limit temps. The manual reset high limit is a safety only, not an operating control. If that is what you have, it is usually set at around 215 degrees. I think this is what you are talking about?  Pics?
  • Jarb
    pics

Yes. The L1 provides line voltage always on to the burner. This red wire comes from the POC (the boiler's computer) and is routed into first the Vent Temperature Limit and then through the Boiler Temperature Limit. So when a call for heat is on, the red wire is energized so long as the two Limits are within range and allow.

Two picture attached. The first is a shot of the two limits from the top. The button is the Vent and the slotted screw is the Boiler Temp Limit. Makes me wonder if it is adjustable but why and why no numbers/hash marks?

The second pic is of the bottom of the Boiler Temp Limit.

I'm wondering if maybe there is something wrong with the Burner Primary Control.

Thanks!
  • Jarb
    Answers from Peerless

Chuckdunn63@aol.com

Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM

To:

ejarboe@gmail.com

The push button is the vent temp limit switch and is set at 248

Degree.

The High water temp limit is set at 210 degrees, and after temp drops 10

degrees the switch automatically resets to allow the boiler to fire. Do not try

and adjust these safety interlocks, that is not an adjustment screw.

Chuck

Erik Jarboe

Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 3:34 PM

To:

"Chuckdunn63@aol.com"

I had previously turned the screw. Since it is not an adjustment screw, it will not make a difference, correct?

- Erik Jarboe   Sent from my iPhone[Quoted text hidden]

chuckdunn63@aol.com

Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Reply-To:

chuckdunn63@aol.com

To:

Erik Jarboe

CorrectSent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
This discussion has been closed.