Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

plumber

i have a ford indirect hot water tank thats not getting hot long enough. after 2 showers  no more not water. oil fired boiler heating tank.  circulator working, zone valve working, boiler reaching temperture. could coil in ford tank be clogged or scaled and not transfering heat to  domestic water..its a 40 gallon tank and weil mclaine boiler.  any help.  thanks

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    could

be that or the aquastat is not sensing the drop in temp fast enough. I would try shocking the coil to see if it helps. Another way to help is add a mixing valve and run the tank hotter. But if the coil is scaled you need to address that issue...
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    How old is that tank?

I haven't seen or heard of a Ford product for at least 20 year. You have a recovery problem. Short of replacing the tank, I would add water savers to your shower heads. No doubt you are running more water through the tank than it could heat when new. You should be at 4 GPM or less for that tank. Is the boiler cold start? High limit setting? Zone valve type/brand?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    poorman's GE?

I wonder if it was found on road dead, or first on race day?  lol.  The reason they had good water heaters/tanks is because they bought out that Carlin line. They also reproduced the Magic Heat steel boilers in the early 80's. Remember the "A" style heads on the Carlins in those? The 3 tackwelds would give way, the endcone would end up in the bottom of the chamber, and hello soot. You might be thinking of Gould which had the Concours boiler that was down fired. That down fired Ford boiler must not have taken off around here, so can't say that I seen one, and probably best that way
  • plunged
    plunged Member Posts: 3
    ichmb

thanks for your reply. temp on boiler to coil is 190 and drop is 10 degrees about every 15 minutes. i think i need to address the coil in tank.   thanks   plunged
  • plunged
    plunged Member Posts: 3
    billtwocase

do not know age of tank.  no cold start on boiler   high limit is 190  and zone valve is a honey well
This discussion has been closed.