Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil filter

tekmar
tekmar Member Posts: 8
have 2, 40 hp  boilers running on #2 fuel oil  both tripped out today  checked everything out ok except for the gerbar fuel filters   both packed full of a black slim like substance looked like gel but was not gel like, also at first thought it might be sludge  but when touched does not smudge like sludge  it is in a 10,000 gal ust     any thoughts about this       thanks3

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Oil

Collect some oil directly from the tank.Get some oil out of the outlet of the new oil filters. One/two pipe?Did you check if the oil pumps have screens/strainers? What size Gerbar's ? What size nozzle?If the tank oil is the same way ,then contact the oil provider.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    how often

are the filters changed?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Garber

It should have a vacuum gauge to start. If it is 2 pipe, I would make it 1, and also test and treat the oil. There is probably a bacteria or algae issue with that size tank.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Filters:

I have an account like this. It had a UST installed in 1982. It had a serious case of sludgeitis. It has a pair of primary pumps to pump oil from and back to the tank. The oil went into a rail system and five burners ran off of it. All filters would plug up but the primary "J" pumps were the worst and would fail. I built a filter system with two sets of filters that then filtered the oil from the tank and a pig vacuum gauge on it. To change a filter, you could switch to the other side of the filter system without a shut down. It eliminated the clogging of the primary pumps.

I should have said that the original install had no filters on the primary pump system. The clogging was so bad that the return lines would sludge up and create high back pressure on the return. I put a pressure gauge on the return and a port to blow out the sludge. The filters stopped the return sludging. The filters would last two to three months. The tank was just replaced. The vacuum hasn't gone up yet.

Something to consider.
This discussion has been closed.