Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hi-Velocity Cooling system in an old house?

I am wondering if anyone can guide me regarding the advantages and disadvantages of the Spacepak system vs. the Hi-Velocity HE series system from the Canadian company? We are adding much needed air conditioning to our 1920's colonial that has no ductwork. We are currently comparing two proposals from contractors both offering these different systems. We feel that each contractor is good at what they do- however we will be stuck with this system they install for a long time and it's expensive so we want to make the right call. Is there any comparative info on the quality, efficiency, space requirements, tube size . . . etc . or is this Coke vs Pepsi?

Thanks! appreciate any help you can offer.

Comments

• MrDucks
    MrDucks Member Posts: 27
    Ductless

Check out ductless A/C..H.P, Mitsub or fuji. Almost like a city multi.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Coke vs Pepsi

The world of hi velocity hvac, has 3 players: Unico, Spacepak, and HiVelocity. I have installed them all.

Each has components that I like and each has components that I dislike. In my opinion it is a Coke vs Pepsi situation.

I would say that the deciding factor would be the contractor. Take the time to check their references. Also, did either of them do a heat gain calculation? Also known as a Manual J?

Good Luck to you.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Coke vs Pepsi

The world of hi velocity hvac, has 3 players: Unico, Spacepak, and HiVelocity. I have installed them all.

Each has components that I like and each has components that I dislike. In my opinion it is a Coke vs Pepsi situation.

I would say that the deciding factor would be the contractor. Take the time to check their references. Also, did either of them do a heat gain calculation? Also known as a Manual J?

Good Luck to you.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    HV versus regular ducts

High velocity systems really lower SEER (efficiency) and lower capacity. They allege that by dehumidifying better then can get by with lower capacity. For example, a recent match I looked at with a Rheem 14AJM36 3 ton that gets 16 SEER with a variable speed air handler gets 11 SEER and 2.5 ton capacity with a Unico.

Any chances of using regular sized ducts and conventional air handler? It doesn't take many vents to the 1st floor of a 2 story house to cool it since cool air falls and heat rises. Doing this would get you lots more efficient equipment for likely less money.
This discussion has been closed.