Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can I replace with a blank?

Options
deathraay
deathraay Member Posts: 6
As you can see in the pic, I have a instant water heater coil that I don't use.  It's pretty corroded and nasty.  I've been told that I can pull it out and replace it with a blank.  Is this true and what would this entail?

Thanks

Ray

Comments

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    you could

but why? In my experience, the metal under the coil plate starts to rot. If you pull the coil out the bolts may snap and the mating surface may be corroded to the point that a blank out plate won't seal. You are then stuck with the only solution being boiler replacement. And given the age of that boiler is a good thing to think about.
  • deathraay
    deathraay Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Full replacement not an option

A full replacement is not an option at this time.  As you know a new unit can easily cost $2k.  Then add labor, extra parts, replumbing, etc.  I don't want to imagine.  I just replaced the combustion chamber myself in order to save the quoted $800. 
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    this was from an earlier post?

If you are going to take a crack at replacing that leaking gasket, a new blank plate would be best. That coil probably wouldn't seal too well anyway. I would also keep that thing warm start as we mentioned before, or you may not have a choice on whether to replace the boiler or not.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

Just remember: If you take that coil apart and the mating surface of the boiler is badly pitted it will never seal. You will then be forced to replace the boiler if you want heat.

Likely to happen? I have no idea. but I have seen it before.
  • freddrow2002
    freddrow2002 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    yes

yes you can replace with a blank plate and new gasket. also replace the bolts. you are always taking a chance that once its apart it wont go back together. but the sooner you do it the less damage will have been done. bolts break sometimes, thats what a drill and tap is for. i use a grinder to flush the boiler surface and get all the old gasket off. actually im doing this exact thing tomorrow on a p-4 something or other weil mclain steamer with side coil.
  • Sensi Jimmy
    Sensi Jimmy Member Posts: 7
    Options
    coil gaskets

I replace sometimes 2 - 3 coil gaskets a week, A good set of drill bits and taps,      Grind clean front of boiler and coil plate and you are good to go...
This discussion has been closed.