Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

aquastat question

Options
I just had a new Bradford-White indirect tank installed, along with a new boiler. I have two questions regarding the water heater's aquastat.

1 - Is it ok to put an on/off switch inline with one of the two wires leading to the aquastat?  Reason I'd want to do this is to not heat water when I'm on vacation & no one's home. With the old gas-fired tank I'd simply set the control to 'pilot'. Also with a switch I don't need tools, and don't need to mess with the temp. setting dial.

2 - The aquastat is a Honeywell L4006a2211 in a well. Some article on this site mentioned using heat transfer grease between the sensor & well. There isn't any on this one, but it seems like a fairly tight fit in the well; it slides in & out ok but doesn't have much clearance. I can't find the docs for this particular 'stat online. Does it need grease, and if so, where would I get some?

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    RE

Sounds like you are about to void some warranties, so be careful. You cannot cut or modify any of the wiring, for any reason. Well-grease is only necessary if the bulb and well do not match up perfectly. It's optional.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    have your

Installer come back and add a switch. It should be a quick add on for him and wont open the door for voiding any contracts. One thought though, unless your going away for a month it really isn't a big cost to maintain  temp in a new indirect. If you go for a week at a time your saving's wont even be noticable...That's the nice part to an indirect, no real stand by loss's....
This discussion has been closed.