Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need Advice on new install

JohnQ
JohnQ Member Posts: 3
Want to replace old cast iron with 3 pass Slant Fin Eutectic with Riello F3 and Superstor 45 gal indirect and Spirovent JR. and new 1 1/4  black iron for supply and returns. Also will be using Tekmar 260 and want to know how does 260 wire up : L 7248 Aquastat

equipped on boiler(EC-13A).  Current boiler using R845 relays and tankless Aquastat.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited September 2011
    what else.....

What else is going on...zone wise, and what other controls do you have/plan to have (LWCO, etc.)?  I'll post the link for the 260 from Tekmar, but basically you wire the aquastat to the tekmar, when there's a boiler demand, the Tekmar will send power to (or thru) the aquastat to fire the burner.  The aquastat becomes your high limit.  The sensor on the supply, wired to the tekmar, controls when to fire the burner based on outdoor reset, DHW demand, a zone calling, etc.

Tell us everything going on, and we'll help you wire it up..

http://tekmarcontrols.com/media/literature/260_d_06.pdf

quick edit:

on the 7248, can't you add a DHW module & an outdoor reset module and forgo the tekmar?  Check page 12 http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/PackedLit/68-0281.pdf
    steve
  • JohnQ
    edited October 2011
    Need Advice on new install

Thanks for responding as soon as you did. So to answer your 1st question  yes I will need to add a LWCO for a basement zone. All in total there will be 4 zones: !st/ priority to Indirect DHW , 2nd/ Main floor of Ranch Home(one zone , split w/ balance valve) 3rd/Basement, 4th/ Garage. All zones are copper tube/alum fin convectors(baseboards)As I am leaning towards Tekmar due to more controls.. I have researched several set-ups and felt that the tekmar offered more.So your saying that I can connect the Tekmar 260 to the Aquastat. Thats cool. So would I still use the R845's then or do I need a circ/zone relay? like the taco sr506 exp w/priority.
  • Katzat9
    Katzat9 Member Posts: 1
    Replace orig cast iron pipes with copper?

Heat system is oil, furnace- hot/water to steam. 99% of pipes are the orig cast iron put in place when system first installed in home- I would guess 60 yrs plus years ago. I was thinking about having them replaced- 'cause every winter season- at least one springs a leak, cracks...Should they all be replaced with copper or cast iron? THKS
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    there are a few ways

but yes you will need relays for the zones.  If you using all circs, you can do it with a TACO 504, it has an end switch, and priority for DHW zone...you can also pull power off off it for the aquastat for the indirect.  Also if you want to fully intergrate, you could go with tekmar's zone manager, and thermostats.  The aquastat on the boiler, in the well, stays on and acts as your high limit.  Just make sure when you install the tekmar, the high limit there is set lower,then the aquastat on the boiler. You want the tekmar to be the operating high limit, and the aquastat to be the safety.

You can also keep your current relays, more wiring.
    steve
  • JohnQ
    edited October 2011
    Back for more

I am much thankfull for your advice - suggestions and wanted to let ya know that I read up on the Honeywell 7224/7228 and the previously mentioned Honeywell ODR and DHW controls.They seem real nice to wire up etc. However I have the Tekmar260 in Hand and as you probably guessed I'm a little hooked on the post purge and all the other product features that seem to save me a couple of bucks-compared to pc600 etc,add ons and like that. So now I will need to replace my 845's w/ SR506w/priority to DHW SSU-45 using the Tekmar260 controller and  7228 Aquastat to boiler. I will be needing to put in a LWCO- any recommendations? Also- If you could help me know How you wire these together properly. Thanks again Steve.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    RE

Just think about your Tekmar as a thermostat when you wire it into the aquastat on the boiler. I find the Tekmar instructions to be pretty cut and dry. They go through every terminal and wiring setup.
This discussion has been closed.