Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

GeoThermal

How many years should the vertical ground source closed loop be good for ? And is "overheating" the earth in winter ( heat rejection ) normal? Possible causes? During the summer the heat rejection from mechanical cooling is not a problem . But, thru valving ( mec cooling off in winter ) the inside water tanks water are put thru the ground loop w/ the overheating problem occuring. The inside tank water temps rise.

Comments

• AL_29
    AL_29 Member Posts: 44
    WHAT?

What are you talking about.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Geo

Hi Al, the ground loop piping of the Geo system that is buried in the ground is  "good for " , typically,usually , how many years ,centures ?  It was told to me by a reliable source that " when the tanking system relies on the compressors for chilling  ,the earth handles the heat put into it. When its  valves are re-positioned , w/ no chiller (compressors) running, the tank's temp's all rise when the earth overheats and can't handle heat being put into it." So, I'm wondering!
  • zacmobile
    zacmobile Member Posts: 211
    I think i may get the gist

of what your asking, I will attempt to paraphrase:  "will the ground reach a point where it will become saturated with heat and be unable to accept any more?" Yes, it is entirely possible if due care was not taken in the design of the ground loop and it was undersized, the amount of time it would take to "crash" it depends. Overheating the earth in the winter though? No, not possible unless you either have some serious internal gains and the system is running in cooling mode or you live in the southern hemisphere ;)
  • SteveDuluthMN
    SteveDuluthMN Member Posts: 1
    Pex tubing used as a heat exchanger in the ground

Please recommend a book that will help me make the heat loss calculations and heat gain calculations using a coil of pex tubing buried in the ground (5 ft).  I have no intention of using a heat pump...only water and glycol and a pump used for dehumidification
  • zacmobile
    zacmobile Member Posts: 211
    no book

that I can think of specifically pertaining to this but Siegenthalers Modern Hydronic Heating has formulas for figuring out heat transfer to & from different mediums.

The temperature of the direct ground probably would not be low enough to do much dehumidification though it would depend on the humidity of your incoming air.

A better way for passive ventilation is direct earth tube ventilation; having your incoming make-up air passing through a network of ducting buried in the ground like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2GCRwiz-zE&feature=related
This discussion has been closed.