Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

thread sealer for gas lines

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,701
I'm getting ready to run my gas lines and just want opinions on thread sealer.  So far I'm loving the combination of blue monster tape and megaloc on water lines. 

Both say they are good for gas, should I use this combination for my gas fittings as well?   Once everything is assembled I will be pressure testing for my self as well as the town inspector.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Never use tape on gas lines.

Maybe I am just old school, but I never under any circumstances use tape on a gas line. A good quality dope will do the trick.

I know they say it is OK, but I have seen teflon tape shreds plugged in a gas valve. No thanks.

Good Luck.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,701
    Options
    Ah

So this falls into the same category as my dad telling friends for using teflon tape on fuel lines on cars. Many a night as a kid I remember him going to help a friend and having to tear the carburetor apart due to tape working its way into the float valve and other places.

I'll keep the tape away from my gas pipe.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Thread Sealer:

I'm an old fart so I guess that makes me "Old School". There may be a few threads that I haven't used T-Tape on on over 40 years. Any non-use was for a reason like it was just a cap etc.

I NEVER run the tape over the ens of the threads. Why would you? I then use every type of thread sealant there is out there. Gasoila, MegLoc, Rectorseal #5, Rectorseal #100. Whatever I like at the time. Currently, it is Blue Monster with Rectorseal #100 for potable water and Blue Monster and Rectorseal #5 for gas and oil. Super Lube synthetic winch grease for anything potable or things that need to be screwed together. Never-Seize on anything that needs to come apart in the future. Like circulator flange bolts. I've never had a leak and I've never has anything plugging up a gas valve or an oil pump.

Proper application is the key. You should never be able to look into a finished fitting and see teflon tale strings. If you do, you installed it improperly.

IMO.

Or to paraphrase the great Jimmy Buffet, "That's my way and I'm stickin' to it."
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    watch dope and tape

Never put any dope or goop on the face of flares or ground unions. Pipe threads can use Teflon tape but it is not recommended since it is prone to tearing off flowing downstream to clog valves. This is also why you never put dope on the first two threads. Some techs like to put refrigeration oil on the threads of flares but never on the face. That is straight out of the copper handbook available from Copper.org

Note, this is also why you are still required to install sediment traps on gas utilization equipment with gas fireplaces and luminairs exempted.

HTH,
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    actually

Some gas fireplaces now require sediment traps also. Read the manual that comes with the unit to verify..
This discussion has been closed.