Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

verify the licence of a plumber

homeowner2
homeowner2 Member Posts: 8
Other than asking the plumber, how can I verify the licence of a plumber in nyc if I do not have the 7 digit licence number to input in the Dept of Consumer affairs website.

Comments

• Greg Maxwell
    Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
    Plumbing License

I can tell you by lots of experience that a license doesnt mean much. Make sure all your dealings with contractors come from a good recommendation.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Doesn't mean much? That's funny.

Here's where you can check a plumber's license status: http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/LicenseTypeServlet?vlfirst=Y
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Greg Maxwell
    Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
    Lisence

As a P&H contractor, tell me how many liscenced guys you have gone in after and shook your head. I should have said that a lisence is important, but does not guarantee quality.
  • homeowner2
    homeowner2 Member Posts: 8
    licence plumber

I am replacing my gas boiler and for insurance purposes, in the event that something might happen to my house I thought I needed to make sure the heating plumber had a licence.  ???
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    You would have no recourse if the plumber isn't licensed.

No insurance company covers persons or property for plumbing work performed by people who are not licensed by the Dept of Buildings to perform plumbing work.

Why on earth would they?

Some unscrupulous contractors like to say they're licensed because they've got a Home Improvement License of some kind, but that doesn't work either.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
This discussion has been closed.