Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condenser Fan Motors and Blades

Greetings guys,

Just a quick note to remind you to change condenser fan blades when you replace condenser fan motors! It'll save you so much grief on the job and in the future.

My sister-in-law in Orlando recently had her condenser fan motor replaced by a fly-by-night a/c technician. According to her, the technician was there for about 30 minutes before leaving to get the replacement motor. Upon returning to the house with the motor, the tech spent about 3 hours replacing the fan motor. Now, a few days later, the outdoor unit is making some seriously annoying noises.

To make a long story just a little longer, the condenser fan blade is completely bent out of shape and the new motor is defintely not very happy at this point in time.

Guys, it takes so much more time to change just the motor, than rip out the fan blade and motor together. Plus, by replacing the motor and the blade, you can be certain that the blade was not damaged during the removal and installation processes. Plus, the new motor and fan blade have no rest on them, are clean, and will go into the outdoor unit much easier.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Eugene

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Finding

the correct replacement isn't easy!  Of course, it's easier to replace the fan and more profitable as well, but getting what you need when you need it is a PITA
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    So,....So ......TRUE.

They go hand in hand.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    It's too much!

2 wing,3 wing,4 wing,how many different pitches ? , how many different rotations ? It could drive you to have another drink!!!!!!!!!! Who has a "pitch angle figure- outer tool? ON THE TRUCK!

Hay Mike T ! How's tricks? All good , I hope !
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Agreed

Yep. It would be great to put a new fan blade on every motor change, just that no one has them on board. The techs mistake was not attempting to remove the blade before going to get the motor...and not having the motor on his truck.
  • Greg Maxwell
    Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
    Blades

Most wholesalers now are carrying blades as well as motors, and there a lot of variations! But, that said, there are a lot of variations on motors as well, and if the tech has to get a motor, he should get a new blade as well, as this will surely prevent an expensive call back.
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    edited August 2011
    My New Idol!

Greg is my new idol!

In addition, it will make the customer much happier in the long run....

Also, when replacing a condenser fan motor (and blade) please, please, please remember to replace the motor's capacitor as well.

This will definitely save future grief!
    Eugene
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    I've got to tell you

In 30 years in the business, I can't remember a single call back due to a bad fan blade when a motor was changed out, from any tech. I've change some fan blades because they were rusted to the shaft, a few that were damaged because the motor mount failed. I completely agree with changing the capacitor every time, but not the blade just because. It might be nice, but then why stop there. Why not change the mounting bracket too, because it may be weak. Or the sheet metal on the top of the unit. Or the coil.

I am a firm believer in doing the job right the first time, but  I don't think many customers what to pay for me to go find the right blade when the motor was the only problem.
  • Techman
    edited August 2011
    IT's THE THRILL

of it !  After 2-3-3 1/2 hours and finally a little,little movement and the fan blade is almost off now . Going OEM is one thing , going The Regular Supply House route is  another ,and,probably more common. The typical "thru-bolt mounted" cond fan motor is available at every supply house . Those pesky fan blades are not ! How many use  " Anti-Seize Compound "  ? ANY GOOFY BEAST CAN KILL A FAN BLADE.! It takes a TECH to seperate the motors from the blades !
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    "T", you will ot believe this BUT.......

I do have the pitch gauge and it has not been crushed or damaged while ridding around in the back shelf of the truck.  I'm not sure how this happens, but I think it's Divine intervention........;-)  Everything else in the back that shakes, rattles and rolls seem to get dinged up....Go figure.

Things been well in Buffalo, been the hottest summer is recent memory.

Mike T.
  • Greg Maxwell
    Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
    Fan blades

If you have to go back on just one blade because of vibration/noise/etc, you have lost all the profit on 2 more service calls, and probably still will have an unhappy customer. Save yourself the misery, because for the cost of a blade, its not worth it. Just tell the customer that the new blade is included in the call.
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Fan puller

Make the job of removing blades very easy.It only bc he did not have one is why it turn into a three hour job.He will learn that it better to have the right tool for the job then it is to be thifty and lose time and money.

We like to say work smarter not harder
  • Techman
    Pullers.

I have sheave pullers,gear pullers,fan wing puller tool,fan hub grabber tool , 3 auto ball joint tools , black pipe  and black fittings to assist me in getting good motor/blade seperation. If I'm going OEM , and the blade is now  part of the  motor shaft ,I will get the blade also. So, my 3- 3 1/2 hr job was just a little difficult. And in the end ,a little thrilling also!
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    30 ton hydraulic press

in the shop, we cut the motor shaft with a 4-1/2 inch grinder with cutoff blade, support the fan hub with 2 pillow blocks and it comes right out. Never have to touch the blades.

Reassemble with never seize.

I dont understand why you would replace them unless they were damaged.
This discussion has been closed.