Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air handler sizing

How can I find out what my BTU load for an existing HVAC air handler? There is 3/4" copper ports going to them from the boiler. Will measuring it help ?

Comments

• Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Model Number?

Are you able to get the model number from the air handler? The 3/4" lines from the boiler are likely connected to a hot water coil in the ductwork and your system is referred to as a hydrocoil system. The system provides cooling from the mechanical refrigeration system in the summer and provides heat in the winter when hot boiler water is circulated through the coil. In both the heating and cooling modes of operation, the same blower is used.

You can determine the the capacity of the system by (1) the model number of the unit, (2) the blower motor data, (3) the refrigerant line sizes, (4) the markings/model/part numbers on the TXV, if there is one. Also, if you can get the model number from the outdoor condensing unit, you can determine the capacity/Btu rating of the system.
    Eugene
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    All in the #'s

This is where all thoes books I USED to throw away come into play.  Lot's of info and in hind site, i usually regret throwing them out but now keep EVERYTHING......

Mike T.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Air Handler

Are you looking for the heating capacity of the A.H.U. ? or the cooling ?

Mike T - FOR SHAME ! Throw away books!!!! 4444444 SHAME !
  • Greg Maxwell
    Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
    Air Handler

Generally speaking, if its a 13 seer A/H, take the CFM of the unit, and it is 400-450 CFM per ton.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I do REPENT to the fullest extent of "THE WALL"
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited August 2011
    Repentence!

Mike. T . LOL A LOT
  • keith123
    keith123 Member Posts: 103
    Air handler sizing

I will going back there in a few days to collect this information. Thank you for all your help guys.
  • keith123
    keith123 Member Posts: 103
    TXV

What is a TXV ?
This discussion has been closed.