Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Outlet at condensing unit.

We have just started to get inspectors requiring an outlet at the condensing unit when we do a replacement. I think there's a code about distance from an outlet for servicing, but not at the unit. Is there such a code?

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Convience outlets

,need a double duplex outlet. Vacuume pump,extention cord,drills ,.drop lights  ,radio,cooler! It depends on the local codes,here,an outlet is required on new work.But not on a cond unit swap out.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Oy!

We do mostly swap out work. On this last one it was just a condensing unit replacement.

So on new work, what code is it? NEC? NFPA? Mech Code?

I thought there was a code like there has to be an outlet within 40' of a piece of equipment, or something like that.
  • Techman
    Outlet

Here, putting in an outlet requirers a Master Electrician. That outlet can be used by ANYONE, so the Master Elect is called.Not your job ,mon!
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    i don't think so here.

If we touched it, we are responsible for the outlet. Just another way that we need to raise our price, and the guys that don't pull permits will beat our numbers by even more.

gotta lovit.
  • Gary_17
    Gary_17 Member Posts: 37
    GFCI outlets

Here in PA in one local Township we have been failed for not having a GFCI outlet within 25 ft of the condenser and 25 ft of an AH in an attic. Also no hiding disconnect behind the cond. as there must be 4 ft of clearance in front of it.Condensate pumps must be plugged into a GFCI or a dedicated single outlet. And don't expect any help from the inspector as to where to find information on the codes he is using as he doesn't return phone calls(he deals with homeowner). You just learn as he fails you.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Here you go!

Here's what I got from the

town. It's in the National Residential Code 2003: E3801.11 Haven't seen

the wording, just ordered the book, but supposedly it says 25', and

since it would be for outdoor use it has to be GFI, so an outlet in the

living room next to the unit doesn't count, I guess.
  • NH03865
    NH03865 Member Posts: 38
    E3801.11

Here's the section from the 2006 code.  I don't have the 2003 version

E3801.11 HVAC outlet.

A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20ampere- rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible location for the servicing of heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 25 feet (7620 mm) of the heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the HVAC equipment disconnecting means.

Exception: A receptacle outlet shall not be required for the servicing of evaporative coolers.

The 2009 edition of the code has moved it to E3901.11.  The wording is identical
  • Gary_17
    Gary_17 Member Posts: 37
    Thanks

Will look into ordering one tomorrow
  • Techman
    Electricity

Before you wire that outlet,check your local codes to see if a Master Electricans license is MANDATORY. If you wire that outlet and anything happens to anyone or anything ,everyone of them is is comming after YOU.Most local codes require a Master to even open up a circuit breaker panel . Paul , an inspector cannot make you wire in a convience outlet !  But he can make sure an outlet is installed! Cover your dupa! Most HVACR guy's are covered by a Limited Electrical License. I work hand in hand w/ a Master Elect so his license covers me upon/with his approval on lots of jobs. If a customer wants a fancy chandileer in their house/business a Master is needed,but,  if that same customer wants a fancy chandileer in their walk-in refrig, then  I'm their guy!
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    yep

The way we will probably handle this is give it back to the homeowner. We'll put in the contract something to the effect that local codes may require additional electrical work that is not covered under this contract. We have never had an inspector require this before, and currently only 2 towns are asking for it...and just recently even though the code has been around for a while. not sure what changed.
This discussion has been closed.