Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Propress or Xpress

Options
James Day_2
James Day_2 Member Posts: 191
I found several posts from a few years ago on the different style fittings.  I just purchased the Ridgid press tool and wondering which fitting to stock.  Just wanted some more recent opinions.  The xpress seems to be quite a bit cheaper.  Is the quality that much different or are they pretty close.    Thanks,  James

Comments

• vabartndr
    vabartndr Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Propress

James-

We are a stocking Distributor and realigned about a year ago to stock only Viega Propress fittings. I have some guys who swear by only using the Viega, part of the reason we consolidated. The price isn't terribly different from what I am seeing- obviously we won't discuss specifics so we stay inline with Forum rules. Ridgid and Viega are going to call the whole solution Propress- make your choice on Marketing Hype.

Bottom line- I used Propress in my house for water and for some of my gas.

hope that helps

TK
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    A supplier

Used to stock both and I used them interchangeably for a couple years with no issue. Apollo and Nibco have ads for pressfittings,but I've. Never seen them in person
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • James Day_2
    James Day_2 Member Posts: 191
    Options
    propress

Do you Need the compact kit to connect the propress fittings directly to baseboard or will the 330b fit inside to make the crimp?
  • wholesalerbill
    wholesalerbill Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Pro-press

I sell both the Viega fittings and use the X-press as a back up. I've seen other manufacturers product of press fittings too. Bar none the Viega is still the best in quality and customer support. Apollo only makes the pro-press ball valves. The reason the X-Press is cheaper is well.....I shouldn't have to answer that. Ya get what you pay for. The Viega XL-C in the 2-1/2 - 4" is a tad cheaper than the XL fitting. The XL-C is a wrought fitting while the XL is a heavier duty cast fitting and shorter radius than the XL-C. From 1/2" to 2" they're all wrought.
  • YinzersNation
    YinzersNation Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Viega or elkhart Apollo xpress

As far as the get what you pay for in the xpress comment. I am a Apollo Xpress rep and the xpress has more leak paths for safety than the viega and it is less because it is priced economically to the market . The technology is exactly the same. If it wasnt you couldnt use the same tool. I am also a licensed master plumber in several states
  • JamesBlack
    JamesBlack Member Posts: 1
    Options
    G-Press

I have started using G-Press from Tyco/Grinnell. It is exactly like Viega. I used the Express product and had a massive failure. Their leak path did not work. My guy forgot to crimp the joint and the system passed the air test anyway. 3 weeks later...it gives way and I have a major insurance claim. So thank for that Apollo guy!

Viega Is too expensive. I am buying G-Press for @ 7-10% less. I also buy my Groove products from Grinnell too.

James

JBK Heating
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Options
    XPRESS

I m using x-press for 3 years, no leaks.
This discussion has been closed.