Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1960's Baseboard Heater

I just moved into an apartment building from the 1960's and this is the control to the baseboard heaters in my unit. I have no idea how to work it. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Terry

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    unfortunately

That, my friend is just a vent....not a control.  Look below and behind the cover, there may be a valve there or at the other end.  Usually in an apartment, the best you get is a thermostat.  But like I said there may be a valve (knob) under the cover to help you regulate the baseboards output a little bit.

Did your landlord tell you it was the control?
    steve
  • Terrytenders
    Terrytenders Member Posts: 3
    that's embarrassing.

Umm.... looked under the cover all along the heater and couldn't really find anything - but then again I'm not really sure what to be looking for. My landlord is kind of crazy and has only managed the building for a short while, so he doesn't really know much about these kind of things.

This is a picture of the smaller one in my bathroom.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    In some cases...

the WINDOW is the temperature control...

Too hot, open the window. Too cold, close the window.

Just right, leave the window where it is.

A.K.A. double hung thermostat.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    another vent?

It's time for Mr. Crazy Landlord to bring in a pro.  Where ya located at (you said it was freezing and it's in the 90 in most of North America)?
    steve
  • Greg Maxwell
    Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
    Double hung tt

I like that
This discussion has been closed.