Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how can I reduce oil burner noise

DIY3
DIY3 Member Posts: 1
I want to use the basement for home theater but the slant fin boiler and beckett oil burner are too noisey. The basement is ripped out to the foundation and I have to build a new room around the boiler. I've heard of the oil burner covers, do they significantly reduce sound? the plan is to get the fresh air from within the basement via vents in the boiler room. the basement is approximately 650 square feet. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    reducing burner noise

Good plan to isolate the boiler but at 650 sq feet with an 8 ft ceiling is boarderline for sufficient combustion air at 1 GPM...check your local codes as some outside air may be needed as well. A lot of the noise may be chimney or draft noise as well. You didn't give burner specs or nozzle size but if using a solid nozzle, you may lessen noise with a hollow nozzle but make sure you do the proper adjustments. If already a hollow nozzle, you might 'clean it up" up pump pressure and air adjustments but a burner box certainly would help.

Went through the same thing with my Weil WGO...tried a QB180, a Beckett with all kinds of adjustments and experiments, and finally cured the issue with a Carlin Burner.....every boiler is different and every venting situation is as well. Just MAKE SURE any changes are accompanied with proper efficiency testing and setup. Factory specs are great for a starting point, but sometimes minor adjustments are needed. The lack of proper combustion air is the leading cause of the many soot and smoke issue I investigate yearly for insurance losses.......do the math and do it right.!!!
  • Interceptor
    Interceptor Member Posts: 46
    burner enclosure

My Burnham/Beckett always seemed louder with the cover installed. The boiler is in the basement garage with living space above. It's been years since I had the cover on so I can't really describe the difference anymore. It did seem to reduce the noise directly around the boiler, but only very slightly, and had the opposite effect in the house above.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited July 2011
    Burner Noise:

Al,

I hope you didn't put a hollow nozzle in your WGO/ Carlin EZ-1. That's not what Carlin specs and hollows make them crud up with kibbles and bits if a cold start.
  • Greg Maxwell
    Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
    Draft Noise

You are probably getting a lot of combustion noise rather than burner noise. I would look at weather you can eliminate the draft reg completely. Some municipalities will allow it, depending on the individual draft readings.
This discussion has been closed.