Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

powerventer under deck

Options
Bryans
Bryans Member Posts: 1
i have a power venter that exits under my deck.  i called to get my oil burner serviced and i was told they could not work on it because of the location of the powerventer. the oil company then went to the fire department and reported me.  i am now told i have to put up a chimney or extend my power venter beyond the deck. is there a powerventer that can be mounted outside? is there a way to extend the pipe after the power venter 12' to go beyond the deck? the deck was built with the house 20 years ago and the powerventer is 28" from the bottom of the deck. any help would be great!

Comments

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Power Venter

Here’s what Field Control’s says about this subject;

“Generally this practice will be accepted in most states except Massachusetts. Installer should check with local code officials before installation. The deck must be open on all three sides and the clearance from the top of the venter to the bottom of the deck should be at least 12 inches. When venting appliances that operate in the summer this may not be a good practice since people enjoying the deck may smell fumes.”

You can purchase 2ft extensions so in your case you would need 6 of these extensions. I can’t remember if those extensions come with the ¼” pressure tube if not you’ll need to extend that as well.
    Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    how bout some more info?

Can you take some pics, inside and out, and some info on your equipment-type & btu's, nozzle size (should be on a tag from last service), and type/size of power venter?  Unfortunately, you really cant blame the oil company, although they could've used a little different tact.  Once they touch your equipment, they're liable.  If something catches on fire, this will be where attorneys in court get to use some of their favorite phrases, i.e.  "You're the professional"........"should've known", etc.

Didn't your oil company try to solve your problem, offer some solutions?  Did you work your way up the food chain (if it's a larger company)?  Anyway, throw up some more info/pics, and let's see what we can do.
    steve
  • Greg Maxwell
    Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Power Venter

If you extend that termination into an unheated space (outside), you are going to create condensation which will rot the termination. Also, local code can always supercede manufacturers specs.
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    powerventer under deck

power venter under deck not a good idea when was deck added reminds me of a job i did with power venters and homeowner added a deck over power venter a year later
  • Greg Maxwell
    Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Power Venter

Unless you can get the local code enforcement to sign off on it based on the venter meeting manufacturers clearances, you will either have to move the vent to an appropriate area, or go metalbestos.
This discussion has been closed.