Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cleaning air handler coil

i like to keep my 16 year old carrier 2 ton central air unit working in tip top shape,,, i like to clean the outdoor compressor and indoor air handler  coil with cleaner each season, an old timer from work gave me a gallon of alki-foam he said to use 1part solution and 3 parts water, it foams up and the crap pushes out of the fins on the air handler,coil,, i wash  all fins off with a garden hose in about 4 minutes and flush the pan and check the drain line,,  my question is , will this shorten the life of the coil, i tried some  cans of "spray and no rinse" solution but some mold and dirt does not come off like when i use the alki - faom,,, thanks...
michael

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Evap coil cleaner

Is that stuff you are using blue in color?
  • md
    md Member Posts: 24
    alki-foam

no just thick clear fluid, they had it at the shop since 2000
    michael
  • fabrk8r
    fabrk8r Member Posts: 2
    Alka-Brite

We used to use a product a long time ago called Alka-Brite...made by Calgon.

It's blue in color and it will burn your eyes and skin because it's such an alkaline solution, but that's why it works.

I've never seen it cause damage to aluminum coils and fins unless it is left on without neutralizing by washing it off with clean water.  Please wear safety glasses and gloves.
This discussion has been closed.