Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vitola 200 Viessmann expert needed

Options
oil_101
oil_101 Member Posts: 3
I am looking for an expert to fix my oil burner (Vitola 200 Viessmann). The installer, Keck Heating, is unresponsive and has left me to fix this problem on my own. I live in Westchester, NY.

Within one year of installing the Vitola 200 Viessmann oil burner the system is shutting off and going into fault 4 mode. I have to repeatedly hit the reset button to get it to fire up. Keck Heating mailed a replacement filter that my oil technician replaced, but he is not an expert in Viessmann and I don't want him to touch it. The replacement filter did not resolve the issue. Keck stated that this highly engineered boiler requires better oil and that it is my problem to solve and not under warranty. By the way, Keck did not do any testing to confirm and as an educated consumer, I don't believe his argument since the oil burner starts when I hit the reset button. If the filter is clogged the boiler would not start no matter what. It is only when the system trys to fire up a second and sometimes a third time does it fault. I have also been told that since the oil tank is outside the oil is too cold, but now it is summer and it still malfuntions. Also, it worked fine the first season and the oil was the same. I've went through the last 6 months hitting the reset button and I need help. FYI, this boiler services radiant heat and a Vitocell 300. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Mixing Valve Sensor

There is no code 4 but a code 40 which would indicated the mix valve sensor may be the issue. I'm assuming there is a Viessmann mix vlv when you mentioned radiant.Your e-mail said this was a Riello burner. Viessmann hasn't offered Reillo on Vitola for a while now. Go to find a contractor here and look for Perry Plumbing and Heating in Cornwall, NY. He services Westchester. Been doing Viessmann for about 15yrs or so best guy in the area. I'm assuming you have a Vitotronic control on the boiler. Which one?
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • oil_101
    Options

I made a mistake. The fault code is 1d and the control is Vitotronic 200. Thanks.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Just a side note for Chris.

We still do Vitolas with Riellos all the time.  It is easier for me to stock Riello parts than to try and keep the chasis burner parts on hand.  And I absolutely hate the NX.  It is still available as a package.  If you request it.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    ME

I am aware that you can if requested get a Riello burner. Thanks though for the insight. How many VitoFlame's have you installed and how often have you had to get parts? It's really an easy burner to service and knock on wood haven't needed parts for it. Are you saying that you replace parts often and its easier to keep Riello parts? If so then maybe the Vitoflame is something to look at.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Maybe a half dozen Vitoflames.

I have only had to replace parts a couple times.  I have had good performance with the chassis burners.  They are different to service and repair than a regular burner.  With most of the combustion adjustment being done with oil pressure.  The vitoflames and weishaupts that we have installed are serviced by me or one other guy. 

My main decision to go with Riello is the continuity.  We do Viessmann and Buderus.  If I have Riellos put on both then I only have one set of burner parts.  The Carlins and Becketts of old were easy.  All of my guys can service a Riello with no support.  And when you are as far up the road as we are.  Parts are an issue.  A Riello kit in each van is an easy cure.

I have no issue with the Vitoflame.  If we were in Mass or Conn or RI.  Then no problem.
  • oil_101
    Options

I don't have a Vitoflame. The model that I have is the Vitola 200 with a Riello burner. Does this make a difference?
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    The problem

has nothing to do with the Vitotronic,,it's going into safety. Any qualified and equipped oil burner tech,should be able to fix it.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • yazoo
    yazoo Member Posts: 5
    Options
    the best

oil...

sounds like it is in the flame rectification , have you checked anything as cad cell

or photo cell... lock out  can occur also on ignition interlocks if they have been incorporated in the primary control circuit.  cold oil has been an issue to a lock out,

but you said it is happening now also... years ago there was a boiler named the "blue-ray"  and a special carlin burner was modified to produce a blue flame in the combustion process. with this burner there was a "CC" nozzle which stood for constant capacity, the trick to the major lock out problem, which they used a pyrostat in the stack, was to bleed the high pressure side of the oil pump thru a clear tube and at the rate of the nozzle gph (.75) and you would see small air bubbles which would have caused another lock out.  after you purged this through the clear tube for the better part of 30 minutes, there was never a problem again unless you ran out of oil... these service remedies are not known to most oil burner guys. but every aspect to the issue needs to be addressed and not over looked, if it fires , then locks out on safety, it does not matter who makes the boiler or what color it is or whatever...it ts an ignition / lockout problem and flame rectification failure.  contact me as i have 33 years of exp. and have diagnosed  and repaired burners from residential to 650 h.p.

commercial burners firing up to 40 gph.

vince  ironclad41@aol.com
  • yazoo
    Options
    the best

oil...

sounds like it is in the flame rectification , have you checked anything as cad cell

or photo cell... lock out  can occur also on ignition interlocks if they have been incorporated in the primary control circuit.  cold oil has been an issue to a lock out,

but you said it is happening now also... years ago there was a boiler named the "blue-ray"  and a special carlin burner was modified to produce a blue flame in the combustion process. with this burner there was a "CC" nozzle which stood for constant capacity, the trick to the major lock out problem, which they used a pyrostat in the stack, was to bleed the high pressure side of the oil pump thru a clear tube and at the rate of the nozzle gph (.75) and you would see small air bubbles which would have caused another lock out.  after you purged this through the clear tube for the better part of 30 minutes, there was never a problem again unless you ran out of oil... these service remedies are not known to most oil burner guys. but every aspect to the issue needs to be addressed and not over looked, if it fires , then locks out on safety, it does not matter who makes the boiler or what color it is or whatever...it ts an ignition / lockout problem and flame rectification failure.  contact me as i have 33 years of exp. and have diagnosed  and repaired burners from residential to 650 h.p.

• yazoo
    Options
    the best

oil...

This discussion has been closed.