Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

glass like soot

MichaelK
MichaelK Member Posts: 34
What causes soot to turn into a glass like coating?  I've seen it once before and it seemed to be caused by a failed nozzle.  Anyone else seen this happen before, this is only the second time I've seen it and in two different locations.  

Thanks,

Mike
Michael Knight

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    where at?

John, where are you seeing this?  On the burner head/end cone? Or somewhere else?  If you're finding it on the end cone, could be the nozzle assembly it out of adjustment, not letting the proper amount of air get down and through.  You could make sure its at the manufacturers recommendation.  Then start the usual troubleshooting---motor, blower wheel, pump coupling all working properly, then complete combustion testing.  Also make sure the nozzle wasn't changed to a different type, size shape, from the correct one.
    steve
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    glass like soot

sounds like creosote to me.  Low pump pressure or poorly atomizing of the oil whether it be too much air, bad nozzle, too small nozzle, lack of chamber or lining just to start with. Have fun scraping that stuff off, and post some equipment brand /type /test results
This discussion has been closed.