Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Modulating dampers and controls for HVAC

Options
Is there a control out there that will handle up to 20 or 30 zones with modulating dampers?

Comments

• Tim_75
    Tim_75 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    A Trane VariTrac

system based on a Central Control Panel (CCP) will communicate with up to 24 VAV unit control modules.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    If

you are going to have that many zones, I would recommend a static pressure controlled VFD for the fan to allow the airflow rate to back off as dampers start to close. VAV is an excellent energy saver and for a system of this presumed size, would add value.

My $0.02 anyway.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Re: What Brad said

I agree Brad, I did one of these on this big mansion that had a huge old Trane belt drive air handler. Installed vfd and new 3 phase motor. Static pressure transducer and just dialed in. Quite cool except adjusting out harmonic noise was a bit trying. Tim
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Carrier

has a 3V system,they do Disneyland & the U.N. building.I am not familiar w/ the system that Brad suggested.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    The system I described

is generic VAV control, most often done in buildings with DDC systems.

The basic premise is that all terminal boxes (VAV boxes, dampers or air valves) are pressure-independent. In other words, they compensate for variations in system supply duct pressure to maintain the CFM they need to deliver at that moment. Secondly to that, the supply duct system has a pressure transducer or several of them in critical branches, to measure the duct static pressure at fairly remote points in the system. The transducers send back an analog signal to the DDC system which in turn controls the supply fan speed, usually via a variable frequency drive (VFD), operating the fan.

As the VAV boxes throttle down, the duct pressure rises. In order to keep this constant, the VFD slows down the fan to keep the pressure constant. You can imagine if it is evening and 80% of the boxes are turned down to 20%, it will take very slow fan speeds to maintain that pressure. Even a 20% drop from a peak load will need only 51% of the full fan HP.  Significant energy savings are to be had here.

A refinement of the above is to re-set the duct static pressure setpoint downward at low load periods. Even more savings.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.