Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replaced auto feeder now overfilling

Options
tandg
tandg Member Posts: 1
Was called out to a 2 pipe steam system with customer saying they needed to manually fill boiler.  We diagnosed as a failed water feeder back in December '10. 

We have been back on several occasions with a high water condition in the boiler.  It has a # 67 low water cut off that was recently replaced and is clean.  All radiators are getting hot across the radiators except one that has been a problem for years.

We have recently adjusted the points on the low water cutoff as it was kicking the water feeder in but not shutting off the burners and also delayed the water feeder to a 120 second delay. 

I am not sure this is going to solve it was wondering what else you suggest i look for in this system as a cause.

Comments

• ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    overfilling

have you watched the water line if water bounces to much it could be causing the lwco to cause the water feed to turn on the other thing is maybe the return piping is plugged causing slow return of condensate water
  • RobbieDo
    RobbieDo Member Posts: 131
    Options
    Plugged Returns

I've had a couple of them with slow returns and was filling. Cleaned the system real good and solved the issues.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I vote for

clean the returns well, but keep an eye open for leaks as sometimes it is the rust that holds the pipe together.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    DHW coil?

If the boiler has a DHW coil in it there is a possibility it has a pinhole and is slowly adding water.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.