Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat for 4 fam building - tamper proof

Options
What is the best type of thermostat for 4 family building.  Currently I have a non-programmable digital thermostat that is kept at one temp all day. I have an oil fired steam system.  The tstat is in a plastic thermostat guard box but I don't think these are helpful.  Actually in one case, I had a tenant put an ice pak on top to keep heat going.  I would like to be able to control the temps from the basement but would like to be able to measure temps in the coldest unit so that I am supplying sufficient heat throughout the building.

Anyone have any recommendations?  I was told VisionPro is an option. 

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Remote Sensor

You can use the remote sensor with the right thermostat ... Locate the thermostat down stairs and put the sensor up in the coldest unit ...You need to enter the use of one in the set up program ... Bag of ice will still fool it but the sensors are a little flat box ... Locks are to keep the honest people out ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Randy Baerg
    Randy Baerg Member Posts: 26
    Options
    tamper proof temp control for steam system

Just wondering if you have an 'outdoor reset control' for your steam system. You could use an Indoor sensor instead of a thermostat, which has no adjustment on it . They would have no way of playing with the thermostat and your setting would be on the main control in the boiler room.

If you don't have a reset controller on your steam system, not only would you get the tamper proof sensor but your system would adjust itself based on how cold it was outside. This can lead to large energy savings for your steam system.
This discussion has been closed.