Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best value with Megasteam

BeerGuy
BeerGuy Member Posts: 24
We need to replace a (not old enough) steam boiler and have decided to go with the megasteam from burnham for efficiency and for the fact that their research has shown they have cracked the cracking problem with steamers of the V7 variety.

Trying to figure out the best option for hot water as everyone has a different preffered solution.  One says just the coil, one says indirect, another says coil with storage tank.  We don't use much hot water, we had a coil before and except when it really started leaking and the waterline dropped below the coil we didn't have any problems in the winter.  In the summer we would sometimes run low, but would cycle on the boiler before a shower for a minute or two and it would be fine. 

Any idea what the best would be for efficiency?  The indirect guy says it is the best because the boiler water will not have to heat, it will remain at room tempurature.  He says that we'll go through far more oil with just the coil and even more with the storage tank which would constantly cycle through the coil to maintain temp.  Any thoughts? 

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Are they all quoting the same size of boiler?

Which contractor measured your radiators and did a full system evaluation? The indirect costs most but uses less fuel. The tankless costs least but uses most fuel. The indirect needs done exactly right or it will be a headache. Wrong means using a taco 007 or other iron body wet rotor circulator. If your budget is tight and your hot water usage is low a tankless will work fine. The indirect will hold up better to hard and mineralized water.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • BeerGuy
    BeerGuy Member Posts: 24
    Tankless coil it is

Perhaps we consider a switch in 10-15 years when the kids are older and demand goes up.  Thanks!
  • 210glen
    210glen Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2011
    tankless

Bottom line you will save 10 to 15% a year with an indirect over a tankless coil, the less hot water you use with an indirect the more u save. I like indirects due to my personal demand, My max demand of my home is 6 gpm, so in my case a tankless wouldnt keep me hot. My boiler is only 89,000 out and thier isnt a coil that would even come close to handle the demand, adding an aquabooster can help a coil keep up but,  thats money u could of used towards a energy saving indirect. I also like an indirect like a Phase 3 smart series, they have very little pressure drop compared to a tankless, specially when a coil begins to scale inside due to hard water. I like having close to even hot and cold water pressure performance at my faucets. My choice would be a indirect for comfort and energy savings, your choice should be whats in the budget. You can always add one later. Good luck

• JimX
    JimX Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2011
    007 pump

Why is the 007 taco pump no good with an indirect Hot water heater?
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    It's not that the 007 is no good with any indirect

Some indirects' coils have too much of a pressure drop so they might require a beefier circulator. It all depends on the flow requirements through the boiler and indirect, and the pressure drop through the same.

The key word in Charlie's post is "iron." Since the boiler is a steam boiler and there's always a fresh supply of oxygen from the air in the piping, any component (circulator, piping, fittings) that can't stand up to corrosion will not last in this configuration.
  • JimX
    JimX Member Posts: 12
    007 pump

I get it now, Thank you
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Sorry missed the last question.

The wet rotor pumps get plugged with the rust in the water. The water they use for lubrication and cooling is stopped from flowing and shortens the pump life. B&G 100 three piece pumps work better and the bronze model lasts longest. I have used wet rotor pumps before with a disclaimer to the customer that the life of the circulator will be less. It will work but for less time. Changing circulators gets old after the third time in 2-5 years. 
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.