Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leak in the slab

Options
Howdy,

I was on a call today for no hot water. 40 gallon shorty electric heater. long story short the heater is fine but water is constantly flowing through the heater with all fixtures off. this leads me to believe there is a busted pipe in the slab. any suggestion on how to locate a break on copper pipe in concrete?

Thanks,

Eric Greene

K.E. Greene Mechanical/Hydronics

678 381 9020

kegreene.com

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Run new ones

Even if you pinpoint the leak, how would you repair it, and how much time does the rest of the plumbing have before it springs a leak?
  • EddieG
    EddieG Member Posts: 150
    Options
    Infared...

The thermal imaging tools are nice and from what I understand you can see temperature changes in slabs. Such as radiant and probably a hot water leak like yours. However they are pricey. I have a buddy, who has one and I call him when I need one. But as Bill said, if you find it and fix it, it will be the first of many to come. Abandon it and run new lines elsewhere if possible.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Thermal imaging

You don't need tobuy. There are many companies out there that will do thermo imaging. Look under "thermography" in your local Yellow Pages. We have used a firm here for many years with great succes at locating all sort of pipes.

Henry
This discussion has been closed.