Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil leak

alsback
alsback Member Posts: 2
On Monday the 21st I lost my heat, when the oil company came out and was working on the furnace, they needed to leave to get a part for the pump and check on another call that came in. After an hour or so I began to smell oil and when I went down to the basement there was oil coming from feed line that they had been disconnected from the pump, about thirty gallons had covered the floor and rug. I called and they sent someone out , well needless to say it was a mess. Three guys and eight ours later they said that they did all they could and that they are sorry but  still gave me a bill for eight hundred bucks, I was shock, I refused to sign the bill and ask them to do the right thing I mean I can't even live in my house the smell is sickening all my clothing and furnature stick of oil and all these guys care about is there money. Does anyone have any advise that will help me get problem solved, my homeowners said they don't cover oil spills. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited February 2011
    Oil Leak

The oil company should have liability insurance for this.

Ask them if you should contact YOUR attorney for advice.

Some of us treat all disconnected oil lines as live and leaking. So, we put flare plugs of valves on any line we disconnect for fear of a valve leaking by when we aren't looking.
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    oil leak

Tehy caused it, they should pay for it. In Maine, we are bound to notify the DEP of ANY oil spill, no matter how small or large. Usually that will get the culprits on the move. Find out who insures the oil company and have your attorney put them on notice that you intend to take legal action. They certainly should pick up the tab if it was their fault as you say it was. Put a little pressure on your insurance agent. Covered or not, they should at least get you started in the right direction.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    here

any spill over 9 gallons has to be reported. I can't fathom a tech taking something apart, and leaving without securing what is apart. Call fire prevention to start. They will usually start some kind of ball rolling. Accidents can happen, buy stupidity has no excuse.
  • billtwocase
    what state

do you live in?
  • alsback
    alsback Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the info

I live in Plymouth Ma.
  • billtwocase
    I would

contact the Fire Prevention Dept in your town. It should start with them. I am also in Mass. 
This discussion has been closed.