Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Purple Primer

Options
tom_49
tom_49 Member Posts: 269
I saw a discussion on another thread about the use of different PVC venting primers. I like to use purple so it is obvious to the inspectors that it was primed right.( even though its not required here in MA.) I do think that it isnt as neat looking as using clear stuff, but can be done cleanly if taking a little time and not rushing. I also have poured just a little purple into a can of clear primer so the purple wasnt as.......well.......purple.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    What

are you priming? If it is an oil tank, it has to be painted
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Purple Primers:

Tom,

I HATE purple primers. I don't think it works as well and it isn't easy to wipe off. Though I like your idea about adding a little purple primer to clear primer.

If you properly clean and prime pipe and fittings, and wipe the excess off with a clean rag, you can always see it. All PVC pipe must have the manufacturers info printed on it and you will clean it off when you clean. In fact, when I clean, I always make it a point to clean that off. If you look at it after it is joined, you will always see the cleaning.

The example on this site where four water heaters are common vented with PVC are obviously not cleaned. You can see the printing go right into the socket. It was never cleaned. If you don't clean the pipe, you didn't clean the socket. If you don't clean the pipe and socket, you didn't de-burr or chamfer the end of the pipe. Making the end of the pipe like a squeegee. Wiping the cement out of the socket and an improper joint.

I was looking on Google for CPVC pipe and fittings. Sch.40 and Sch 40 long sweep pattern 90's. Read the install instructions on how to join PVC and see if that's how you do it.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    oh ok

PVC
This discussion has been closed.