Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Age of Peerless Boiler Model TW-5

Options
Roma
Roma Member Posts: 71
I have a Peerless Steam Boiler the only marking on the tag is "Boiler No TW-5".  Would anyone know how to find the actual age of this boiler.  I have a manual near the boiler which led me to believe it was from May of 1992 because thats when the warranty that is attached to the manuals went into effect.  However this Boiler No does not match any of the boiler numbers in the manual. 

Comments

• crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Does this help at all?

I found a JO-TW and a JOT-TW at the Peerless website.  You could phone them and ask what year.  

http://peerless.ag-is.com/Resources/Literature/TechnicalInformation/IOMManuals/tabid/86/Default.aspx
  • Roma
    Options
    Age of Peerless Boiler Model TW-5

Has anyone ever seen one of these boilers.  I called Peeless and they didn't have this model on record.  They told me it was probably a JOT-5?  The tech suggested that possibly some of the plumbers who may have worked with these may have some insight to how old a TW-5 could be.
  • toilburn
    toilburn Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Boiler age

This boiler is JOT=TW5. It is the second generation JOT. 1992 is seems to be in the right time frame. I put many of these in in the mid 80's to early 90's.
  • Roma
    Options
    Peerless TW-5

Would you know what the approximate efficiency rating of one of these would be.  Or should I say should it be around 82% like today's steam boilers?
  • Roma
    Options
    Peerless TW-5

Would you know what the approximate efficiency rating of one of these would be.  Or should I say should it be around 82% like today's steam boilers?
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Peerless JO-TW series

Looking at the specifications of firing rates and rated output, efficiency looks to be in the 85% range.

Does the boiler you have resemble the ones in the attached manual?

http://peerless.ag-is.com/DesktopModules/Bring2mind/DMX/Download.aspx?EntryId=89&PortalId=0&DownloadMethod=attachment
  • Roma
    Options
    thanks

Mike,

Thanks.  I called Peerless and they did not have any record of of TW-5 yet it was stamped on their factory installed plate.  The tech did think that I probably had a JOT series as the other gentleman believed JOT=TW.  The tech stated I probably have a unit rated at 2gph and I believe around 168,000 btus.  I know will try to figure out my convector ratings and see if this is not too much or too little.  Also I thought I had my boiler cleaned.  However, the other day I opened up the metal door and the burner and I couldn't believe how much rust type flakes are in there.  I called my service company and they hadn't cleaned it since 2009.  They are coming tomorrow to give it a cleaning.  So I guess the manual probably does belong to this boiler and since the generic warranty page stated the the warranty was effective May of 1992,  I would have to deduce that this boiler had to have been manufactured at least after this date. 
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
    Combustion test

When the tech comes to clean the boiler, have him check the nozzle size and oil pressure and do a combustion analysis. This way you will know exactly what your firing rate is and determine what sort of efficiency you are achieving. With these measurements, you will know how much steam you are generating.

If the tech does not have a digital combustion analyzer, or know how to use it, find another service company. Too many companies in this area try to service boilers without proper equipment or procedures.
This discussion has been closed.