Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One loop is cold

I am a homeowner with a Uponor TruFlow Classic Manifold problem. One of the six loops is cold.  The supply and return pipes for the loop closest to the supply and return pipes is cold.  The house is in its 3rd heating season and I'm 90% sure that this loop has never heated. To make matters worse, I think that it is the loop that is supposed to heat the bathroom floor, too.  It seems like that floor is always cold.

I adjusted the circulator on that zone from high to low, but it didn't make any difference.

The other 5 loops feel hot when the zone is heating.

I looked at the instruction sheet and got the idea that I could make a lot of trouble if i just started turning things.

It is about 5 degrees here right now and I would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Got pictures????

That's a good start.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • coldfeet
    coldfeet Member Posts: 3
    Pic of the manifold

ME, here is a pic of the manifold.  The pipes on the far right are the supply and return pipes for the cold loop.  Perhaps you can tell that the manifold is in the back of a closet.  This is the manifold for the upstairs zone. 

It seems like this picture doesn't show you much.  What else should I take a picture of?  The circulator is a regular Taco 3 speed job.
  • Mark Eatherton
    edited February 2011
    Looks like a closed valve....

See those black knobs on the top of the upper manifold ? Those are shut off valves, and the one next to the main supply and return line appears to be closed. Try opening it and keep an eye on it for bubbles. If you see a LOT of bubbles, then close all the other valves so that the one open circuit gets maximum flow from the pump to get the air out.

In the off chance that the circuit was properly purged, you should feel warmth in the supply immediately, and eventually in the return down below.

Worst case scenario, you may have to bring an expert in to power purge the whole manifold, but lets hope for the best first.

Get back to us with the results.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • coldfeet
    coldfeet Member Posts: 3
    Thank you

Mark, you fixed it.  I have heat in the loop that was cold.  Thanks a lot.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Glad to hear it.

Enjoy your comfort.

ME
This discussion has been closed.