Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trianco Heatmaker HW-series

2»

Comments

• Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    edited February 2011
    Cleaning an HW

The HW is very easy to clean. I have done them in as little as 3 hours. And yes the most important part is the outside of the coils. Everything comes apart with unions or flanges. I also use acid ( calci solve ) . This is NOT a job that a homeowner should do even if you are real handy. These acids are much more concentrated than what you can buy at home depot.

TONY  did I say anything about normal loss????
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Yes

You implied that by saying ALL switches and wires have voltage drop across them.

The original topic was a gas valve "toggling", meaning it was dropping out. That's certainly not caused by a tenth, half, or even a full volt of drop from the nominal 24. It would be caused by a drop of 2.5 to 6 volts or more. Absolutely distinguishable by a common voltmeter across a switch that is opening momentarily. These are things I've learned in my years spending quality time with my test meters.

You do it your way and I'll do it mine. I know my customers always comment on my use of test equipment, from multimeters to differential thermometers to combustion analyzers to dual manometers. I believe if I walked in with a jumper wire they'd want to cut my rate by a third. JMO.
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    Enough

Tony - IF you were as experianced as you think you are then you would know that ALL obj ects that carry watts have voltage drop from one contact to the other.

I have all of the tools you mentioned and more, I have an electronics background and can repair almost all electronics. I am not going to carry this any further. A jumper is just a tool if you chose not to use them that is your choice.
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    okay......

The second paragraph of my last post is all that needs to be said about switches having voltage drops. You're splitting hairs trying to make your point and defend your advice to use a jumper. I never said a jumper wasn't a viable way to test components. I simply believe a meter to be better. One reason is that I've walked into many service calls and found jumpers left in place, by both HO's and contractors who didn't come back or told the owner that they "fixed" it. I didn't say YOU, so don't get all defensive.

As far as my experience level is concerned, I'm not the one making a point of how many years I've been in business or that I own a company and am not "just a tech". I'm fairly certain my knowledge is evident. I don't care if you acknowledge it, like it, or lump it. It just doesn't matter ; )

Have a nice day !
This discussion has been closed.