Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One tank supplying two burners

Options
04090 Member Posts: 142
What's the best way of having one tank supply two burners? Presently there are two aged tanks each supplying one burner, but we need to abandon one of the tanks

The distance from the tank to the first oil burner is about 10 feet, and it's maybe another 6 feet to the second burner.

Should there be two lines originating at the tank, or can single line supply the first burner and then just go along to the second? I'd imagine some valves would be necessary to prevent the pumps from being drained.

How's that accomplished?

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Oil Line

Assuming you have an inside tank ....

From the bottom feed valve of the tank run a new sleeved oil line .. Add a filter near the tank to also keep the line clean ... You would need to add a Fire-O-Matic valve before the filter if the tank valve is not of that type ... Run along the corner of the floor and wall You can run a single line with tee's to feed both burners ... You need to have Fire-O-Matic valves on each of the oil pumps on the burner too ... The Fire-O-Matic valve shuts down in case of a fire . You will need one before any filter or pump .... Any second in series filter of the same screening property is useless... A finer filter at the burner is a better way to go...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    like Big Ed said

and what is the firing rate for the two units? I would use 1/2" line, then Tee off at the burners. Positive shut off first in line at the tank, inline fireomatic valve, General or Garber filter, 3/8" X 1/2" flare fitting, 1/2" oil line (precoated), then off to flare Tee, and flare fireomatic valves at both fuel pump. Run it along a wall, strap it down every 2 feet, make sure the line is out of harm's way. If it is in a walkway, either set it in the floor or cement it over. Good luck
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    One Tank:Two Burners:

Whatever you do is correct as the others have said.

If "I" was doing it and had to face the prospect of a call back, I would absolutely replace the old oil line. It has sludge in it. I would tee off at the tank and run two separate lines to the two burners. If it is an old tank, I promise you it has a large quantity of sludge in it. I would put two spin'on filters at the tank and one at each burner. Make the connections to the tank as close to the tank as possible.

The reason I say to do this is because two burner pumps will have a tendency to pull off each other and the strongest one may starve the other and make it go on safety. By running two lines, you increase the vacuum resistance from one pump to the other. The idea is to make the pump want to draw off the tank and not the other pump. This has happened to me more than once and this was my solution.

Check valves don't work as well because they add a lot of restriction to the system.
This discussion has been closed.