Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

air problem indirect water heater

Intalled a 70 gallon Vaughn indirect water heater.  Having problems with it getting airbound every three to four days. 

I have installed many of these throughout the years and have never had this problem

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    pictures will help us

Is it pumping away? What model? Any means of automatic air elimination? 
  • sledge
    sledge Member Posts: 5
    answer

yes this is pumped away with a double 0 7 taco circulator.  This is a vaughn 70 gallon indirect water heater.  there is a watts spiral vent on the supply. 
  • billtwocase
    is it

a Top Performer model, or Hotstow? Does any of the heating zones get air bound also?
  • sledge
    inderect heater

it is a top performer and no other problems with other zones
  • sledge
    inderect heater

it is a top performer and no other problems with other zones
  • billtwocase
    that is strange

Usually a set up like that never gets air bound. Air rises to the highest point as I'm sure you know. If it was an Amtrol, I could see it happening, coil under, but over on top? Are you getting air out when you purge it? Could it be a sticking flowcheck?
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    IFC circ ?

We've had multiple problems with air getting trapped between the check and impeller of IFC pumps . No flow . Happens with circs and flowchecks too close to the top of the circ also . Pumping away with a Spirovent . The Taco instructions state to have a minimum of 12 inches from circ to flowcheck . I'm guessing to minimize that issue among others .
  • billtwocase
    didn't think of that Ron

I never liked the IFC pumps and always will. They save an installer nothing when you gotta go back due to problems. I like either zone valves or flow checks, zone valves being top of the list. How is everything going for you this winter Ron?
This discussion has been closed.